Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel, AMD, Red Hat / IBM, Meta & Others Launch The AI Alliance

Phoronix: Intel, AMD, Red Hat / IBM, Meta & Others Launch The AI Alliance

The AI Alliance has launched as a consortium focused on advancing open, safe, and responsible AI...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The prospect of an alliance is good, but for some reason I get this dystopian feel of the terminator future...

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
      for some reason I get this dystopian feel ...
      So do I.
      This "alliance" looks like another attempt to control speech. Every time I hear "responsible" I read censorship.

Comment

But the 900 lb gorilla is not mentioned in this group, or did I miss the N name of the one whose name shall not be spoken

Comment

safe, and responsible AI.
          I don't trust a single organization listed there to determine what qualifies as 'safe' and 'responsible'

Maybe the University of Tokyo.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamber View Post
            So do I.
            This "alliance" looks like another attempt to control speech. Every time I hear "responsible" I read censorship.
            Responsible is also ensuring that you follow the laws you live under and the licensing of the software you're using. It's the difference between training your code writing AI with compatibly licensed software versus training your AI on anything and everything. Adhering to the licenses you agreed to follow isn't censorship, it's doing the right thing. Doing that in a collaborative, open source manner means they won't be accused of being anti-competitive like can be argued with NVIDIA, GPUs, and CUDA.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Responsible is also ensuring that you follow the laws you live under and the licensing of the software you're using. It's the difference between training your code writing AI with compatibly licensed software versus training your AI on anything and everything. Adhering to the licenses you agreed to follow isn't censorship, it's doing the right thing. Doing that in a collaborative, open source manner means they won't be accused of being anti-competitive like can be argued with NVIDIA, GPUs, and CUDA.
              Yes of course, by the cynical in me is telling me they are are in the alliance to deflect any wrong doing because it's heavily suppressed (what you are talking about). Let's say a member of the alliance years later found a workaround and blows the whistle, because of the alliance the responsibility is reduced. In all seriousness, the alliance is a better thing than NOT have one between the big corps.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
                But the 900 lb gorilla is not mentioned in this group, or did I miss the N name of the one whose name shall not be spoken
                Not surprising - they won't have things done any way but their way. They're notoriously uncooperative; Apple also wasn't mentioned, presumably for the same reason. Much of the institutions mentioned here know they can't compete alone. Not all of them have to step on each other's toes, either. For example, you might think it's weird IBM, Intel, and AMD would all partner up toward a common goal since surely that would mean less sales for themselves, but it's really no different than them supporting the same OSes or APIs for other purposes. In fact when it comes to AI, all 3 of them have pretty different approaches: IBM is focusing on quantum chips, Intel is investing in AI enhancements for CPU cores, while AMD has good GPU hardware. There's not a lot of overlap in their specialties.

Also worth pointing out Google and Amazon weren't mentioned, likely because it's rather apparent their use of AI is to maximize their profits and not necessarily something more "altruistic".

Comment

OpenAI, Microsoft and Nvidia need real competition.

Alliances aren't enough. A really powerful and experimental-friendly megaproject is needed.

Skynet is just spoken crap. Currently this is just evolved algorithms and not real AI, the only worrying effects are automated spam and physing.

But it can cery useful at automating many tasks, but not in an autonomous way.

Comment

The main purpose of that alliance seems to be grouping together against the one, whose name shall not be spoken, but begins with N. However bringing open source balance to a proprietary monopoly is welcomed. The prices of that green 900 lb swamp thing reached dizzying heights.

Comment

Working...
                    X