Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12 shell VM instances tool that Mike uses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 shell VM instances tool that Mike uses?

What is that tool I’ve seen Mike use for launching 12 bare-bone VM instances where each is a differnt prepackaged *nix operating system automatically deployed in their own terminal emulator all at once?​
    Last edited by drone4four; 28 November 2023, 12:40 PM.

Multipass could be the tool you're referring to. It is a lightweight virtual machine manager that can be installed on Linux, Windows, and macOS and is intended for developers to be able to launch a new Ubuntu environment with a single command.

Comment

Originally posted by rosssammy View Post
      Multipass could be the tool you're referring to. It is a lightweight virtual machine manager that can be installed on Linux, Windows, and macOS and is intended for developers to be able to launch a new Ubuntu environment with a single command.
      I believe Multipass is used for hosting and launching many simultaneous Ubuntu instances. I don’t think it is Canonical Microcloud either.

In the screenshot I saw on Phoronix showed at least 12 or more different Linux distros. Michael Larable’s screenshot had OpenSolaris, NixOS, DragonFlyBSD, Fedora, RHEL, Debian, and many, many others. Microcloud/Multipass are not capable of launching these O/S’es I am pretty sure.

The screenshot Larabel shared that I have in mind wasn’t cloud focused.

If I recall correctly, it looked more closely like launching local guest VM pre-configured easy-access images perhaps through QEMU or Xen or a wrapper thereof. I believe it may have even been IoT focused intended for small memory footprints without big GUI/DE packages installed. Just the bare-bones.

I think the instances may have even just launched to shell information tools directly (e.g. like screenfetch / neofetch).

Comment

If my memory serves me correctly, the article I saw by Michael featured the latest release announcement of this software tool which enables the functionality I described in my original post above. I am pretty sure the launching of all these VM instances of *nix operating systems were not custom scripts that Michael wrote himself that he uses to run, manage. and handle cross platform benchmarks. It was an actual tool with a name. The screenshot Michael shared that I am thinking of showed a native Ubuntu host with each guest operating system, maybe low profile minimal install mediums, booting directly to neofetch / screenfetch or some similar system information app.

Below is a mockup that I created on my system. As you can see, there are 12 terminals but in my case, it's just my Manjaro system which serves as placeholder. In Michael's case, each terminal had a different guest *nix O/S.

Originally posted by peggyramos
        The tool you're referring to is likely "tmux" (terminal multiplexer) combined with a script or configuration that automates the launch of 12 bare-bone virtual machines (VMs), each running a different prepackaged *nix operating system. Tmux allows for the creation of multiple terminal sessions within a single window, and it's commonly used for managing and organizing multiple terminal instances simultaneously. The specific script or configuration Mike is using would automate the deployment of the VMs and their associated terminal emulators.
        peggyramos What follows is tmux (and I am pretty sure is not what the screenshot in Michael's articled looked like):

Comment

Originally posted by rosssammy View Post
          Multipass could be the tool you're referring to. It is a lightweight virtual machine manager that can be installed on Linux, Windows, and macOS and is intended for developers to be able to launch a new Ubuntu environment with a single command. spacebar clicker
          If my memory serves me well, it seems more like starting up local guest virtual machines with pre-configured easy-access images, maybe using QEMU or Xen, or some kind of wrapper for those. It may have been designed with the Internet of Things in mind

Comment

rosssammy and Miakols : I sent Mike an email and he replied and was able to successfully identify the tool! It's called Distrobox:

Comment

Working...
            X