Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenZFS Is Still Battling A Data Corruption Issue

Phoronix: OpenZFS Is Still Battling A Data Corruption Issue

Last week OpenZFS 2.2.1 was released with a reported fix for a data corruption issue that was initially blamed as being a block cloning bug for a new feature introduced in the v2.2 release. Well, it turns out that the block cloning feature isn't the root cause and that v2.2.1 is still prone to data corruption and pre-v2.2 releases are also vulnerable to this file-system data corruption issue...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, turns out Btrfs wasn't all that bad to begin with

Comment

Just yet another reminder to always make sure one has multiple backups for data with importance rather than relying on any one solution to not accidentally eat them, be it BTRFS, ZFS or any other filesystem.
      Last edited by fong38; 27 November 2023, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fong38 View Post
        Just yet another reminder to always make sure one has multiple backups for data with importance rather than relying on any one solution to not accidentally eat them, be it BTRFS, ZFS or any other filesystem.
        It is best to have an off-planet backup, preferably in another stellar system, in case of a mega flare or something.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

It is best to have an off-planet backup, preferably in another stellar system, in case of a mega flare or something.
          Ideally, you'd want to store at least one backup in a pocket universe just to guard against the possibility of a Hubble Constant Inversion that might also affect all stellar systems in your universe...

Comment

At least now i know how Dr. Strange could make a Multi-billion dollar startup with data security services.

Comment

Originally posted by satadru View Post

Ideally, you'd want to store at least one backup in a pocket universe just to guard against the possibility of a Hubble Constant Inversion that might also affect all stellar systems in your universe...
              In my experience, concern with theoretical threats diminishes the efficacy of protection against real world threats.

Comment

Originally posted by fong38 View Post
                Just yet another reminder to always make sure one has multiple backups for data with importance
                Tested backups, with a process to restore the data and to validate. If you don't test restoring and validating your backup you do not actually have a backup. It is unfortunately true that there are those that learn that lesson the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by satadru View Post

It was difficult to set up, but I ensure my backups are stored in mediums at every known vacuum state. The chemistry gets a bit weird but it's still not clear which is the true vacuum state so it's better to be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

In my experience, concern with theoretical threats diminishes the efficacy of protection against real world threats.
                    For sure! Here is my OpenZFS PPA for recent ubuntu versions (not LTS) with the patch from https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/15571 for this issue applied: https://launchpad.net/~satadru-umich...-experimental/

Comment

Working...
                    X