Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Foundation Creating The High Performance Software Foundation (HPSF)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Setif View Post

You don't know what you are speaking about. Those applications are for Physics, Chemistry and Engineering. They just compute some stuff.
    Nothing to do with Passwords and Personal Information.​
    You are talking about Cloud computing which is very different than HPC. Get some knowldge and then start arguing.
    And i am sure none of those projects contain personal information, industry secrets or military secrets, riiight?

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
      high performance computing with hackable registers and branch prediction so my password in the "cloud" can be hacked. no thanks. we need security first. computers are plenty fast for me already.
      Unplug your internet while at it.

And physically smash all your USB ports.

Then you should be totally safe.

Comment

And i am sure none of those projects contain personal information, industry secrets or military secrets, riiight?
        Even if hypothetically it were somehow true (it's not), literally nobody would care. You're not that important and neither are your passwords.

Comment

Supercomputers owned and operated by organizations like the U.S Department of Energy (or "Thermonuclear Bombs R' Us" as I like to call them*) aren't something available to the general public and submission of compute jobs is both very tightly controlled and very expensive. Even then, they're not going to announce when those jobs are going to be run and they're going to be large enough jobs that they have whole sections of those machines dedicated to them. Speculative execution exploits are also about accessing very specific small pieces of information, not the vast amounts of data that supercomputing machines process. The tiny amounts of data speculative execution attacks can pilfer is completely useless in trying to spy on the kinds of massive compute jobs on things like modelling hypersonic glide vehicles or nuclear bombs that are run on these kinds of machines.

Maybe my background (read: master's thesis) in exactly this kind of thing is showing...

*I know this is a tad reductive for and organization that handles a vast number of things other than developing, producing and maintaining the U.S nuclear weapons arsenal. However it was bundled in with it during the cold war to make it exceedingly hard to estimate U.S expenditure on these things (especially for foreign adversaries).

Comment

Originally posted by Yalok View Post

SauronOS 👁️🔥🎇
            Yeah why not, as long as this fragmentation madness ends....
            They can even call it myLittlePoneyOS, I don't care, we just need THE LINUX OS.

Comment

Working...
            X