Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Foundation Creating The High Performance Software Foundation (HPSF)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Setif View Post

Di you know what does HPC mean?
    It's not for individuals like you, those HPC applications run on clusters that contain hundreds of CPUs and GPUs.
    yes and those applications can contain your passwords and other info in a cluster that can be shared with other applications that could be using cpu epxloits to spy on you. Did you read what i wrote? And secondly we need to stop centralized clusterization and turn the 20 computers we have at home into our own cluster that host our own stuff hence why i said i need more secure computers not faster.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

yes and those applications can contain your passwords and other info in a cluster that can be shared with other applications that could be using cpu epxloits to spy on you. Did you read what i wrote? And secondly we need to stop centralized clusterization and turn the 20 computers we have at home into our own cluster that host our own stuff hence why i said i need more secure computers not faster.
      You don't know what you are speaking about. Those applications are for Physics, Chemistry and Engineering. They just compute some stuff.
      Nothing to do with Passwords and Personal Information.​
      You are talking about Cloud computing which is very different than HPC. Get some knowldge and then start arguing.
      Last edited by Setif; 13 November 2023, 03:45 PM.

Comment

You don't know what you are speaking about. Those applications are for Physics, Chemistry and Engineering. They just compute some stuff.
        Nothing to do with Passwords and Personal Information.​
        You are talking about Cloud computing which is very different than HPC. Get some knowldge and then start arguing.
        Do not feed the troll please. It doesn't take more than a room temperature (in Celsius) IQ to understand why very niche CPU exploits are not very worrisome in the HPC world.

Comment

High performance software? Good that we have Easybuild in EU for over 10 years already.

Comment

Another foundation... how useful

What they should create instead is a Linux Foundation official distro to unify the community around a single powerful platform!

One distro to compile for, one distro to debug for, one distro to patch, one distro to optimize for, one distro to become the true third player, but that never arrives...

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
              One distro to compile for, one distro to debug for, one distro to patch, one distro to optimize for, one distro to become the true third player, but that never arrives...
              We should call it "The Lord of the distros"

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post

Quite opposite. AMD at least has been trying to engage with GPGPU HPC with Instinct family of products. Intel has virtually nothing there yet actual market wise aside some recent marketing attempts.
                But importantly, Intel seems to have done more with their GPU compute API in 2 years than AMD has managed in half a decade with ROCm.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

It isn't mutually exclusive.
                  Us plebians can / must put together whatever "fog" we can out of local / personal clustered resources.
                  Meanwhile if you're a top-100 or whatever university / institution / commercial technology company or government research lab researcher you'll use the nice supercomputers and cloud clusters all your students' fees / plebeians' tax dollars have bought for you to use and you, personally, won't worry a bit about the security of it since:
                  A: It's not your computer,
                  B: It's not your data,
                  C: It's not your job.

But maybe you will get some nice papers published, research grants, or promotion or something personally.

Comment

We should call it "The Lord of the distros"
                    SauronOS 👁️🔥🎇

Comment

Another useless foundation? Like HSA Foundation

Comment

Working...
                      X