GNOME Foundation Names A New Executive Director

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yump View Post

Guzz is apparently willing to cede the concept of diversity to the hegemonic ideology waving diversity as its banner. I am not.

I expect you've heard of the Outreachy project. Note the strong suggestion that applicants disclose protected characteristics. Note also the carefully worded language (farther up the page) about "expressly inviting" persons of particular sex, race, and gender. The reason it is carefully worded is that openly doing the thing they are doing, without the fig leaf of, "disfavored races aren't excluded, just 'not expressly invited'," is illegal discrimination in many jurisdictions.

Going outside our immediate sphere, take a look at Students for Fair Admission v. Harvard.

And if you're willing to consider examples that aren't branded as diversity but are part of the same political cluster, there's stuff like allocating covid treatments by race.
    Hey, my advice is you are wasting your time arguing with a troll. No one can be that dumb although I guess a brainwashed troll can still be a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panix View Post

So KDE is better, for e.g.? Why is Gnome such a 'bad' DE/co. compared to KDE, for e.g.? I just curious.
      What's KDE have to do with Gnome being a DE poorly designed? I haven't tried KDE in 17 years... 🤷🏼‍♂️

Comment

• Originally posted by Mez' View Post
        They already spend a ton on influencer trolls. Just read these forums, the negativity around Canonical, the fake positivism around anything RH, although Canonical is honest about being a business, while Red Hat tricks you in believing they do it for the community (but don't suggest things that will threaten their bottom line, eh...), the marketing machine of Red Hat has its own tricks. And it costs a bit.
        I agree with you, except Canonical. Canonical is a Microsoft partner in the broad sense. I would call it Microsoft hooker. Also, it's a terrible software company whose many projects epically fail or get forked. More shamanic fun at LWN! https://lwn.net/Articles/948098/

Comment

• Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          I agree with you, except Canonical. Canonical is a Microsoft partner in the broad sense. I would call it Microsoft hooker. Also, it's a terrible software company whose many projects epically fail or get forked. More shamanic fun at LWN! https://lwn.net/Articles/948098/
          Well, I don't really agree about Canonical. Failing doesn't always mean it's because it was bad. There are many factors, and especially when you are crushed through the competition marketing machine who would influence any easily gullible into believing anything.

Canonical is much more user oriented, and even though I don't agree with all things (the forcing of snaps over debs made me migrate away from Ubuntu for example), I believe most of the time their goal is to ease the life of their users. Red Hat goal is usually to ease their own life as developers, and arrogantly dismissing user-oriented design that doesn't fit that.
          For example, in my opinion Unity was an awesome implementation of the very same paradigm Gnome is failing at. It fell through due to bottom line refocus, not because it was failing.

And I don't think they're any kind of MS hooker, they're just being pragmatic. And I'd go any day with pragmatic over dogmatic like Red Hat trolls can be. Real end users (not IT people such as devs, infra, database, etc...) want a pragmatic solution as adapted to their needs as is reasonable, they don't want a dogmatic enforcement of things they don't need or will have a very hard time adapting to.

This is basically my job, getting user requirements, and making IT meet them within their own constraints and suggestions obviously. IT people and operational people have an entirely different mindset and speak different languages (metaphorically), and my job is to reconciliate both, or translate one to the other so they end up understanding each other.
          I see the difference between both worlds on a daily basis, and I can tell with certainty Red Hat apps are originating 100% from a devs mindset, while Canonical stuff is really derived from a total pragmatism towards users.

In the end, unless doing a special edition for IT people (about 5% of users), what matters is facilitating the end user workflow while not making devs life too hard. And that's why Red Hat has it all wrong and reversed, making even the more terrible piece of software the more they bury their head in the sand.
          Last edited by Mez'; 24 October 2023, 11:01 AM.

Comment

What's KDE have to do with Gnome being a DE poorly designed? I haven't tried KDE in 17 years... 🤷🏼‍♂️
            Nothing. There seems to be a lot of Gnome haters here. I'm just asking what makes KDE better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panix View Post

Nothing. There seems to be a lot of Gnome haters here. I'm just asking what makes KDE better.
              Who said KDE was? That's my point. Those are not correlated. You don't have to think one to justify the other.
              It feels intellectually dishonest to assume and conclude you have to be a KDE fan to dislike what they do with Gnome. I'm a Gnome user. And a Budgie user.
              I don't hate Gnome but I believe Gnome have it entirely wrong on how they design their stuff from their butt (and not from users) and could do a much more satisfying job with the paradigm at hand. And I say this independently of any other DE out there or of any claim that another one is better.

Comment

Who said KDE was? That's my point. Those are not correlated. You don't have to think one to justify the other.
                It feels intellectually dishonest to assume and conclude you have to be a KDE fan to dislike what they do with Gnome. I'm a Gnome user. And a Budgie user.
                I don't hate Gnome but I believe Gnome have it entirely wrong on how they design their stuff from their butt (and not from users) and could do a much more satisfying job with the paradigm at hand. And I say this independently of any other DE out there or of any claim that another one is better.
                I didn't say they were. I guess I presumed a lot of Gnome haters use KDE although I guess some use xfce or something else.

Comment

Working...
                X