Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Foundation Names A New Executive Director

Phoronix: GNOME Foundation Names A New Executive Director

The GNOME Foundation has named a new Executive Director for overseeing the foundation responsible for this leading open-source desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can't want to see wiser, more experienced phoronix users telling what she should do...

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
      Can't want to see wiser, more experienced phoronix users telling what she should do...
      Why bother? GNOME is beyond saving anyway.
      Last edited by Monsterovich; 17 October 2023, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Potential upside: administrative burden of the foundation doesn't have to be shouldered by one of the people deeply invested in the codebase, whose time and energy might be more productively spent on that.

Potential downside: administrative control of the foundation is in the hands of someone who appears to be a died-in-the-wool creature of the charity-academia complex, and may not be deeply invested in Gnome on a personal level.

Let's see how this goes.

Comment

Originally posted by yump View Post
          Potential upside: administrative burden of the foundation doesn't have to be shouldered by one of the people deeply invested in the codebase, whose time and energy might be more productively spent on that.
          The executive director never did that anyway.

Gnome Foundation very rarely gets involved in coding or direction of Gnome - they are there for administrative tasks, funding hosting, conferences, collecting donations etc., running GSOC and Outreachy programs etc.

They previously employed a developer for one year to address accessibility and will soon be channeling the funding from another source to allow another deleoper(s) to work on a gnome project that has wone some EU funding.

Success on her position will be judged by how well she can fundraise for gnome as a whole and for specific strategic initiatives that are identified by the community of developers.

Here, past fndraising experience is more important than the ability to code well, but having experience in a prevous tech foundation will definitely be a plus.

Comment

Originally posted by yump View Post
            Potential downside: administrative control of the foundation is in the hands of someone who appears to be a died-in-the-wool creature of the charity-academia complex, and may not be deeply invested in Gnome on a personal level.
            "Charity-academia complex" is not something I've ever read before, but large parts of great open source software come from charitable sharing of code by individuals or from academia. Not sure why you see that as a negative here.

Comment

I wonder if she will get rid of their racist code of conduct? I bet she won't

Comment

BioBricks is a flop though, meh concept and almost no activity in years; ivy league vapours do help, but they need some substance to saturate around.

Comment

Originally posted by guzz46 View Post
                  I wonder if she will get rid of their racist code of conduct? I bet she won't
                  I'll take the bait, what is their "racist code of conduct"?

Comment

I'm sorry.... WHAT?!

name is Holly Million, and I am a professional shaman, an artist, an herbal medicine maker, and a micro-homesteader.​
                    Eight years ago, I realized the best word to describe me must be “shaman.”​
                    ​​​​​​
                    I do energy healing work on behalf of individuals, land, houses, and businesses. I can do this work remotely because everything is connected. We live in a quantum universe. My clients for personal and land clearing are located all over the country.
                    I am also a practicing herbal medicine maker and love to integrate healing herbs with my shamanic work. I am converting my property in Oakland, CA into a working micro-homestead and herbal farm — Holly Wholly Farm and Sanctuary.​

I completely refused to believe this is the same person at first
                    But on her facebook : https://www.facebook.com/holly.million.5/about
                    Producer at Golden Poppy Productions, LLC
                    Past: Artists United and Freelance

Studied Education at Stanford University
                    Graduated in 1990​

​​​​​​
                    From the phoronix article:
                    Notably, she founded the nonprofit organization Artists United, dedicated to empowering individual artists and fostering collaboration across artistic disciplines for the collective good.
                    What in the...

Comment

Working...
                    X