Arm Talks Up Their Open-Source Contributions, Adding Support For Panfrost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by okias View Post

I must respectfully disagree, as the objective of Mesa3D also includes providing support for Android builds. For instance, a few months ago, we began testing of Android containers with git Mesa in our CI pipeline. Although currently, Mesa is only utilized in specific use cases on Android, the ultimate goal is to extend its usage to mass-produced Android devices in the future.
    Just because Mesa supports Android doesn't mean that every driver in it supports Android, Panfrost and Lima don't support Android Mali's special KMD and don't implement Android WSI and AHB at all, which means that even if you could successfully compile it, it wouldn't work properly, otherwise Yuzu-EMU wouldn't be on their blog rant.

Comment

Originally posted by okias View Post

I must respectfully disagree, as the objective of Mesa3D also includes providing support for Android builds. For instance, a few months ago, we began testing of Android containers with git Mesa in our CI pipeline. Although currently, Mesa is only utilized in specific use cases on Android, the ultimate goal is to extend its usage to mass-produced Android devices in the future.
      Maybe you're a Mesa/Arm member? Like Britoid said, Arm releases products faster than upstream code merges, so having Lima and Panfrost as stock drivers for production devices seems unlikely. Perhaps Arm decided to do what Intel did and contribute drivers upstream years before product release, and if so, I'd like to wish you guys luck in beating Qualcomm to the punch. Qualcomm has become a much more obnoxious presence than NVIDIA these days.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        SiFive so have only made development boards that costs more than ten times more than a Raspberry Pi and still manage to perform less than half as good at best.
        Depends on location I guess? An 8GB SiFive VisionFive2 cost me 16,000JPY back in April. An 8GB Raspberry Pi 4 cost me 14,400JPY (I just checked) back in September last year (distributor price, elsewhere were cranking the prices up between 30% and 200%) and would cost me basically the same now, while a 4GB RPi4 cost me 12,000JPY when they first hit Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by edxposed View Post
          Android is the market with the most ArmSIPs, but Lima and Panfrost have absolutely nothing to do with Android, and countless Android phones (Pixel is the only exception, but these days the Pixel's hardware is a piece of shit) lose driver and firmware updates a year after the release of their SoCs, which is clearly planned obsolescence
          pixel 4 has had supported four major releases that's not too bad. and their SoC is moving to in-house chip design with TSMC for manufacturing, so unless google pulls a google, the future is bright for pixels

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post

pixel 4 has had supported four major releases that's not too bad. and their SoC is moving to in-house chip design with TSMC for manufacturing, so unless google pulls a google, the future is bright for pixels
            Pixel4 was very good but also the last generation of classic Pixel. the Pixel5 switched to Snapdragon 765G and Pixel6/7 switched to Tensor, which resulted in Pixel's performance being comprehensively crushed by Qualcomm and MediaTek based devices, both in terms of CPU/GPU/NE/ISP/Media. due to the fact that the SIPs they used were always a generation behind their peers and therefore will never be able to catch up with Qualcomm. And MediaTek will be working with NVIDIA in the future, which will make up for MediaTek's only shortcoming.

Comment

Originally posted by edxposed View Post

Pixel4 was very good but also the last generation of classic Pixel. the Pixel5 switched to Snapdragon 765G and Pixel6/7 switched to Tensor, which resulted in Pixel's performance being comprehensively crushed by Qualcomm and MediaTek based devices, both in terms of CPU/GPU/NE/ISP/Media. due to the fact that the SIPs they used were always a generation behind their peers and therefore will never be able to catch up with Qualcomm. And MediaTek will be working with NVIDIA in the future, which will make up for MediaTek's only shortcoming.
              Does lineageOS support any modern mediatek phones? I know most of lineageos uses binary blobs, but pixel seems to be the best new phone supported there (now that oneplus went evil). that's a pretty significant value add for people like me who prefer not to be shackled to companies for firmware updates.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post

Does lineageOS support any modern mediatek phones? I know most of lineageos uses binary blobs, but pixel seems to be the best new phone supported there (now that oneplus went evil). that's a pretty significant value add for people like me who prefer not to be shackled to companies for firmware updates.
                This is exactly where MediaTek's problem lies, their ALPS stack is a piece of shit, but if NVIDIA intervenes, the situation will improve, after all, NVIDIA's open source Arm products do "pretty well", in addition to NVIDIA's graphic and media technology is world class, and MTK is a piece of shit in this regard.

Comment

Well, at least this is happening. Hope my RK3588 boards could get much better GPU support next year.

Comment

Are the panfrost and panvk stats on mesamatrix.net up-to-date? Because, if so, it's pretty appalling that they're even worse than the current support for Apple. It's not something to brag about. Not yet, at least.

Comment

Its a shame that ARM in the past even threatened opensource developers like libv, for their reverse engineer of the graphics ip..

Comment

Working...
                      X