Microsoft Releases WinGet 1.4 For Improving Its Open-Source Package Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Releases WinGet 1.4 For Improving Its Open-Source Package Manager

Phoronix: Microsoft Releases WinGet 1.4 For Improving Its Open-Source Package Manager

It's easy to forget that Microsoft maintains a command-line package manager for Windows... The open-source WinGet package manager is approaching three years since its announcement while it continues to not be as rich and robust of what Linux users for many years have enjoyed, but in any case it's continuing to be improved...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not as rich and robust compared to Linux package managers? I am going to call it "different" rather than "not as rich and robust" for one reason.

Search results are personalized (so far based in the user's location). This is something no other package manager does for good reasons.
    Now, whether this is a defect of WinGet, or a defect of the default repository (in case search results are completely remote and WinGet does not store any list of packages), is something I don't know.

Comment

I tried to do winget upgrade --all. Now I guess I have two Firefox installs? It is exceedingly sucky at everything.

Comment

Winget sounds to me like not much more than the ReactOs package manager. And who in their right mind creates an alias where update=upgrade?!

​​​​​​Don't get me wrong. Windows need a decent package manager so I hope it's evolves to something useful in the long run.... And when it does.. god for them.

Meanwhile I am more than happy with Debian and apt / aptitude.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Chocolatey is the package manager for Windows.

Packaging, deploying and updating applications can be hugely time consuming, especially when trying to keep on top of the latest zero-day exploit in your apps (I'm looking at you Chrome!) Fortunately there are now a handful of package managers available to take away this pain, especially useful when you have multiple customers with largely the same app estate. For this post I'm

Comment

Originally posted by evert_mouw View Post
            Chocolatey is the package manager for Windows.

https://andrewstaylor.com/2022/02/24...kage-managers/
            That's the one I was trying to recall.

I remember there being a package manager GUI app for Windows do
            operating since at least 2009 as well, basing itself around open software
            Hi

Comment

I don't see a reason to winget exist.

It is so behind the curve, it looks like it is just an MS' intern project that thought that Linux package managers were cool and Windows should have it to appease possible Linux émigrés.

Comment

I've used Scoop some, kind of a Homebrew for Windows. It has it usage cases, especially good for command line based tools/software. Speaking of Homebrew, have had good luck with that on macOS, though never used it on Linux.

For full disclosure:
                A command-line installer for Windows

Comment

Sounds like a temporary program for squashing or boasting a political objective.

Likely boasting they are coding something command line orientated, then make it sucky (feels good bug does nothing productive), continuing forced use of the standard click-n-pray graphical windows update. Or should I say, forced automated upgrades, when one wants use of the computer, the computer wants to stall during upgrades then reboot, shutdown and endlessly hangs.

This has been my opinion since the last time I tried using MS winget.

... systemd probably is going to start working well with it for some odd reason.

Comment

The article is about something from Microsoft, so the dumbass responses aren't surprising. Winget isn't as good as Linux package managers. But it's about a million percent less crappy than having to go to dozens of different websites and manually download installers. It's a fantastic improvement for setting up new Windows machines easily via script without going all the way to a configuration / deployment management tool. Even when it was first released it probably had over 70% of the software I use all the time.

Firefox? All the Chromium forks you can handle? Irfanview? XNViewMP? Gimp? Foobar2000? Multi Commander and Double Commander? SMPlayer? CPU-Z and GPU-Z? CrystalDiskMark? Notepad++? All the Unigine benchmarks? Joplin Notes? KeePass?

All that shit and truckloads more is now easily installable via command line / scripting. And you can update all of it with a single command too.

But herp derp, Microsoft.

Comment

Working...
                    X