Apache Talks Up More Than 333 Million OpenOffice Downloads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by all3f0r1 View Post

Oh absolutely ! But then comes the question: does an office suite need to have such a development pace that it breaks compatibility with older documents?
    Show us a document created on OpenOffice that wouldn't open on LibreOffice or shut the fuck up. Go file a bug report. Stop touting bullshit. The file formats haven't changed in such a way that old documents wouldn't be compatible with modern software.

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post
      This legit happened and caused the loss of a satellite: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...288-story.html
      That was the joke

Comment

WT...?!?!

I can accept what ever number of downloads from windows because I understand there is much "less educated" people in the windows universe (I'm being polite, I'm being polite!!!).

But 4.7 million downloads by Linux users?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Excuse me: WHAT THE _UCK?!?!

THERE'S SOMETHING NOT RIGHT WITH THIS STATS. That number is impossible. Not one Linux user uses OpenOffice.

So I don't believe that. Period.
        Last edited by Mavman; 01 September 2022, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
          WT...?!?!

I can accept what ever number of downloads from windows because I understand there is much "less educated" people in the windows universe (I'm being polite, I'm being polite!!!).

But 4.7 million downloads by Linux users?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Excuse me: WHAT THE _UCK?!?!

THERE'S SOMETHING NOT RIGHT WITH THIS STATS. That number is impossible. Not one Linux user uses OpenOffice.

So I don't believe that. Period.
          Calm down, the stats goes back to the ealy 2010s...

Comment

Originally posted by luisbandalap View Post

What's wrong with Libre? It's the spanish analogue of Open.* Apparently The Document Foundation wanted to maintain some similarity in names when they forked from OpenOffice.

* analogue with some nuances​
            Trust me when I say that it doesn't sound good for a product name in Spanish, in the Spanish language for it to make sense it should be "Office Libre" and not "Libre Office", whoever decided on using the word "Libre" did not know Spanish uses the name first and the adjective last. This is similar to the old joke: "The el Tostadero" where the word "The" is redundant. It is better not to mix languages :-D

Also Libre means free as in freedom or as in vacant, Open in Spanish is "Abierto"

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Good names but some might be offensive to others, like "better office" (kinda racist). So I would suggest something that isn't divisive and is universally seen as a good thing, e.g. "TrumpOffice2024" which would suggest that this office "trumps" your problems and "2024" as a friendly reminder that this will be a leap year in the Gregorian Calendar.
              You need help.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

You need help.
                You need help.

Comment

Trust me when I say that it doesn't sound good for a product name in Spanish, in the Spanish language for it to make sense it should be "Office Libre" and not "Libre Office", whoever decided on using the word "Libre" did not know Spanish uses the name first and the adjective last. This is similar to the old joke: "The el Tostadero" where the word "The" is redundant. It is better not to mix languages :-D

Also Libre means free as in freedom or as in vacant, Open in Spanish is "Abierto"
                  Oh! did you care to google "Libre Software" and "Software Libre"? If you do you'll find in GNU FSF's Free Sofware page:

“Free software” means software that respects users' freedom and community. Roughly, it means that the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. Thus, “free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free beer.” We sometimes call it “libre software,” borrowing the French or Spanish word for “free” as in freedom, to show we do not mean the software is gratis.​
                  While I did say TDF wanted to maintain some similarities I did not mean to say they litearally wanted to translate the "Open" word and I clearly stated "Libre" and "Open" are analog with some nuances beacuse "Codigo Abierto" (Open Source) is not the same as "Software Libre" (Libre Software / Free Software).

It is better not to mix languages :-D
                  Do you know contemporary english​ takes "borrowed" words from french, spanish and other language? The same it's for those other languages.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

Calm down, the stats goes back to the ealy 2010s...
                    oooohhhhhhhhh

i seeeeeeee what you mean

that i can accept!

Comment

Working...
                    X