Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The fuck is a Metric?
    Is a thingy the Army uses. No wonder why recruitment is so low, who wants to be yelled at for messing it up?

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I am increasingly disappointed by the performance of LibreOffice. So perhaps that could be the niche of OpenOffice one day. To be faster and less "modern".
      What performance, start-up time?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Well, I have heard of newer versions of MS Office not opening older files correctly, so is not a isolated LO thing. Also, the reason your father's experience with OO is more consistent, may very well have to do with how stagnant its development is compared with the alternatives.
        IMHO it's a common problem because office suits need to follow standards that are thousands of pages long, plus they have to support each other's standards (OOXML vs OpenDocument) each of which has various versions.
        So the devs have to be very committed and disciplined otherwise the software follows same path as OpenOffice which died and its subsequent release as Open Source by Sun Microsystems allowed the public to discover that the "professional office suit" inside was a huge pile of amateurish code with lots of dead code impossible to improve without slashing all the repetitions, dead code and needless abstractions.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

What performance, start-up time?
          A bit of that, yes, but that has been an issue since StarOffice on Solaris (this old crusty stuff still represents a large percentage of the LO codebase after all).

However these days where I really notice it is in Impress when moving slides around or using complex table structures in Writer.
          Switching to the gen (X11) VCL widget toolkit does help a little. However it is still much slower compared to OpenOffice with the full Gtk+2.0 VCL.
          Last edited by kpedersen; 31 August 2022, 10:51 AM.

Comment

I would imagine that the number of LO downloads since 2011 are in the many billions. In 2018 they said they have 200 million active users, which is one-sixth of the 1.2 billion MS Office users.
            LO users - https://web.archive.org/web/20200309...office-history
            MS Office users - https://web.archive.org/web/20200218...cial-customers
            Last edited by andyprough; 31 August 2022, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              Also, the reason your father's experience with OO is more consistent, may very well have to do with how stagnant its development is compared with the alternatives.
              Oh absolutely ! But then comes the question: does an office suite need to have such a development pace that it breaks compatibility with older documents?

Maybe the workflow of John Smith is so basic they value stability over modernity. And given you start with OpenOffice, from now on, you want it to just work. Maybe the breaking changes aren't worth the modernity it brings for most people.
              ​​​​​​
              And that's why I'm a bit disappointed in Michael for suggesting OpenOffice is the ignorant choice when LibreOffice exists while it could just be that stagnation is perceived as stability, and thus the most desirable feature. Can you imagine someone with hundreds of documents, having to check them all everytime an update arise? How can you say to someone "it's the price of modernity" with a straight face? (And again, I'm a LO user and happy with it, but if I had to rework my résumé because an update messed it up, I would be pissed off too).
              Last edited by all3f0r1; 31 August 2022, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I recently had to tell my boss about LibreOffice. Like many people I think he only knew about OpenOffice since it's been around forever and was once the go to for free office suites. Now we ship LibreOffice on our public computers instead.

Comment

Petition: https://www.change.org/p/the-apache-...to-libreoffice

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Of which 320 million are from bots
                    Exactly THAT ... but I think the actual number is probably closer to 333 million

I wonder what it cost the Apache folks to "buy" all of those downloads? After all, buying likes on Twitter and probably Instagram and FB are real things, right?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                      I would imagine that the number of LO downloads since 2011 are in the many billions. In 2018 they said they have 200 million active users, which is one-sixth of the 1.2 billion MS Office users.
                      LO users - https://web.archive.org/web/20200309...office-history
                      MS Office users - https://web.archive.org/web/20200218...cial-customers
                      And how many LO downloads take place through repositories of Linux distributions?

Comment

Working...
                      X