Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lennart: Linux Comes Up Short Around Disk Encryption, Authenticated Boot Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this "Windows and Android" sentence is being misunderstood, it's not about he capabilities of the systems or their ethics, it's just their out of the box experience on some scenarios compared to the out of the box experience on some generic distros.

Tools exist but there is no incentive for generic distros to really look into "making FDE right", most users don't need it that much and won't know there's problems with their "installer's FDE", and the ones that need it won't be using out of the box FDE solutions from generic distros. Remember that Calamares issue that had user readable keyfiles out of the box? It slipped by unnoticed for a few years despite being quite a simple thing to notice and fix.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

And you can prove "spying" with what exactly?

Why does the open source community always love to alienate itself from the rest of the world by proclaiming things like that? No wonder people prefer to work with operating systems which do not paint everything but them in black. The only time Microsoft was openly hostile about Linux is when Ballmer said that Linux was cancer. The Open Source community however hasn't changed one bit since then if anything it has gotten a lot worse. Everything and everyone are "bad" but Linux/Open Source.
      The countless amount of connections (many have a purpose, but some don't and these are what I mean) that Windows 10 devices send upon connecting to a network, and then every once in a while.
      It could mean anything.

[redacted] The last paragraph of yours is absolutely unnecessary.
      Last edited by tildearrow; 23 September 2021, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

The countless amount of DNS requests that devices send upon connecting to a network, and then every once in a while.
        It could mean anything.
        "It could mean anything"? tcpdump and wireshark are readily available in Windows. Any halfwit with patience and an actual desire to determine the truth need only spend a few minutes performing a packet dump of such traffic. And he don't even need to be the ones inspecting the packets; there are lots of forums and people out in the world who will readily help to do that, as well provide instructions to users on how they can mask their computer's IP addresses in the pcap file for privacy before sending it over.

Why does birdie always love to ignite highly agitated conflicts on Phoronix by issuing promptful responses to our customary pennings like that? No wonder several Phoronix forum threads are incrementally toxic and spawn fear on the souls of newcomers.
        And why do Linux users love to pen such statements that are clearly false or unconfirmed, yet get all defensive when the false statements are exposed?

Comment

The countless amount of DNS requests that devices send upon connecting to a network, and then every once in a while.
          It could mean anything.

Why does birdie always love to ignite highly agitated conflicts on Phoronix by issuing promptful responses to our customary pennings like that? No wonder several Phoronix forum threads are incrementally toxic and spawn fear on the souls of newcomers. The only time I was openly supportive of birdie is when I criticized Wayland's incompleteness and X11's current superiority disregarding its pitfalls. Birdie however hasn't changed one bit since then if anything he has gotten a lot worse. Everything and everyone are "bad" but birdie.
          DNS requests are now considered spying?

Do you have anything which resembles actual spying? I.e a Windows PC siphoning your files, browsing history, passwords, anything?

You continue to lie through your teeth about "spying" in all the mentioned OSes and you deem yourself as a very educated, logical, smart person ... except you don't strike as one at all. All these traits require proven facts. "DNS requests" are nothing but facts. And while we're at that, Ubuntu, Fedora and probably other distros have used telemetry which is ... DNS requests as well, Firefox is choke full of telemetry, yet no one says "it's spying on its users".

And funny how you're referring to my previous posting history where I can stand for every post I've ever made - yes, I've not always been correct but I apologized when I was wrong. You and other open source lovers on the other hand, including pal666, are lying and insulting others with impunity.

If you continue in the same vein, I'll make sure not to ever see your posts ever again. Enough with fanaticism, blatant lies and baseless accusations.

Lennart has correctly underlined the fact that among all OSes, Linux is currently the least secure in terms of preventing unauthorized local access to your data and funny how you do everything to subvert the conversation and talk about something completely orthogonal. This is disgusting to say the least. My posting history, LMAO, when I tried to stop open source lovers from spreading falsehoods, yeah, right, that's very pertinent to the issue at hand.
          Last edited by birdie; 23 September 2021, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moita View Post
            Imost users don't need it that much and won't know there's problems with their "installer's FDE", and the ones that need it won't be using out of the box FDE solutions from generic distros.
            I think this goes beyond personal computing tho. There's corporate issued laptops that may have commercially valuable information. Corporate espionage is certainly in the category of actor motivated enough for such semi-complex attacks.

Said this, I don't find the topic all that interesting, so I'll unsubscribe. Just as a heads up if I don't respond to quotes or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

"It could mean anything"? tcpdump and wireshark are readily available in Windows. Any halfwit with patience and an actual desire to determine the truth need only spend a few minutes performing a packet dump of such traffic. And he don't even need to be the ones inspecting the packets; there are lots of forums and people out in the world who will readily help to do that, as well provide instructions to users on how they can mask their computer's IP addresses in the pcap file for privacy before sending it over.

And why do Linux users love to pen such statements that are clearly false or unconfirmed, yet get all defensive when the false statements are exposed?
              Windows 10 with "spying" has been around for over 6 years. No one has been able to show how it's leaking data left and right. Perhaps tildearrow wants to believe that Windows is spying but for some reasons he's saying that as if it's a fact instead of his belief.

I'm glad Michael no longer allows you to moderate because for that you're lacking some crucial traits like critical thinking and adherence to proven facts instead of "I've heard something it must be true".
              Last edited by birdie; 23 September 2021, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I'm glad Michael no longer allows you to moderate because for that you're lacking some crucial traits like critical thinking and adherence to proven facts instead of "I've heard something it must be true".
                Wha? I have never been a moderator here. Wouldn't want to be, for that matter.

Comment

DNS requests are now considered spying?

Do you have anything which resembles actual spying? I.e a Windows PC siphoning your files, browsing history, passwords, anything?

You continue to lie through your teeth about "spying" in all the mentioned OSes and you deem yourself as a very educated, logical, smart person ... except you don't strike as one at all. All these traits require proven facts. "DNS requests" are nothing but facts. And while we're at that, Ubuntu, Fedora and probably other distros have used telemetry which is ... DNS requests as well, Firefox is choke full of telemetry, yet no one says "it's spying on its users".
                  From your website:

Originally posted by birdie
                  Windows 10 spies on you and even more so on your children aka phones home (welcome NSA/CIA/thoughtcrime/1984)! Microsoft added spying features to Windows 7/8.1 as well (more general list). Microsoft officially admits that automatic spying cannot be disabled in Windows 10.
                  Yep, this is from your very own website. I hope this is enough proof that Windows is spyware.
                  If that's not enough, a quick Web search on "windows spying" should be.
                  How do you feel now? Are you just trying to defend your beloved Windows by randomly claiming "it does not spy on you"? I won't believe that. At least not until a majority verifies that Windows is not spyware, which does not seem to be the case.

You and Sonadow are the only ones who claim Windows is not spyware. And what a coincidence, you both are Linux haters.

By the way about Firefox (which I don't use at all), yes it is. But at least it can be fixed (there is a mitigation guide).

And funny how you're referring to my previous posting history where I can stand for every post I've ever made - yes, I've not always been correct but I apologized when I was wrong. You and other open source lovers on the other hand, including pal666, are lying and insulting others with impunity.
                  Guess what. I have apologized many times when I did something wrong, but I cannot stand you call for a conflict again despite the fact Michael has banned you twice (or thrice!) from these forums due to your behavior.

If you continue in the same vein, I'll make sure not to ever see your posts ever again. Enough with fanaticism, blatant lies and baseless accusations.
                  If you don't refrain from these triggers, I'll make sure nobody ever sees your posts ever again. Enough with trolling, blatant flame-baiting and amnesia.

Lennart has correctly underlined the fact that among all OSes, Linux is currently the least secure in terms of preventing unauthorized local access to your data and funny how you do everything to subvert the conversation and talk about something completely orthogonal. This is disgusting to say the least. My posting history, LMAO, when I tried to stop open source lovers from spreading falsehoods, yeah, right, that's very pertinent to the issue at hand.
                  Technically could be true, but the solution isn't to drop Linux and use a less trustworthy operating system like Windows, Android or macOS.
                  Last edited by tildearrow; 23 September 2021, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Windows 10 with "spying" has been around for over 6 years. No one has been able to show how it's leaking data left and right. Perhaps tildearrow wants to believe that Windows is spying but for some reasons he's saying that as if it's a fact instead of his belief.
                    As if I was the only one who thinks Windows is spyware. Come on.
                    Perhaps YOU want to believe that Windows is not spying but for some reason you say it as if it's a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Right, it all comes down to "i have every right and entitlement to walk into an organisation's HQ and demand to see their development practises and trade secrets, and if I can't i'll just claim that their products are insecure just because".

It's really refreshing to see that an average person thinks his personal interpretation of security is more airtight and sound than the large businesses that literally stake their reputation on ensuring their cloud services are operational and secure enough to be served globally.
                      Wow, talk about an appeal from authority. It's not a comparison of my security knowledge versus a large business. It's a comparison of two pieces of software. One is open source and let's you see the entire workings of it. The other is closed source and doesn't even run on your own hardware. It doesn't matter how secure OneDrive is if it's totally running outside of your control. The big worry here about Linux security is that the boot files could be changed to intercept your password. But in my own circumstances the chances are very unlikely that someone is going to get my laptop and modify the boot partition without my knowledge of it. But if your security is all running in some remote datacenter, things could be quite easily and quickly changed without your knowledge. The large company and government involvement is not what you should look to for reassurance. It's what you should be wary of.
                      Last edited by Chugworth; 23 September 2021, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X