Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lennart: Linux Comes Up Short Around Disk Encryption, Authenticated Boot Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
    Who doesn't have to abide laws? I honestly don't recall any clauses that exclude criminals from having to abide the law.
    well, those who stole your laptop are obviously incompatible with abiding laws
    Originally posted by ddriver View Post
    Those corporations pay to have laws written in their favor. That's basically the standard now
    so how many credit cards they stole from you? do you trust your credit card to corporation(like your bank), or street thief?

Comment

As a former enterprise Endpoint Admin and now an ITSec person, I'm not sure there is a way for me to run Linux and meet my own organization's industry-standard security policies. Is there a way for me to easily enroll a Linux desktop or server into a system that escrows a break-glass key for the full-disk encryption?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        The countless amount of DNS requests that devices send upon connecting to a network, and then every once in a while.
        It could mean anything.
        Lol! it can mean anything so let's assume the absolute worst.

Btw, do you know what DNS is and what it's used for? You think your computer is sending "countless amount of DNS requests"? Who do you think these requests are being sent to? And what do you think the receiving party is doing with them?

If your "proof" of "spying" is that you think any device that doesn't run Linux is sending "countless amount of DNS requests" then not only do you have no proof but you also have no idea how basic networking works.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          well, those who stole your laptop are obviously incompatible with abiding laws
          so how many credit cards they stole from you? do you trust your credit card to corporation(like your bank), or street thief?
          Let me put it this way - "illegal criminals" haven't stolen more credit card numbers from me than big tech corporations. I have never been the victim of any sort of "classical" theft that you are referring to, or a victim of "illegal crime". I dare say I am sufficiently careful as to avoid that.

Big tech corporations however have in all likelihood made money on stealing and selling my personal data. I can't tell you how much, because they are not doing it directly, but hey, there is more than one way to steal something from someone than reach into his pocket, and there are more important things to steal than money.

I feel far more damaged by the stupidity that big tech corporations are inflicting around me. I can keep a good eye on my wallet, but how do I prevent that form happening? Huh? Legal crime is far greater issue with far more reaching consequences and damages, for the simple reason it is so overwhelming the world is drowning in it.

I absolutely see a much bigger problem with legal crime than I do with illegal. That's just the thing - designating things as legal or illegal doesn't determine whether it is a crime or not. Today we have an ever growing array of legal crimes - unethical and ultimately harmful actions that are perfectly legal in the face of the law, and we even have a bunch of stuff that I wouldn't really call even remotely unethical that happens to be illegal, for the purpose of protecting the establishment's monopoly on crime.
          Last edited by ddriver; 23 September 2021, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            you are not very smart. those corporations have to abide laws, people who steal your notebook don't, they'll get all your passwords and vacuum your bank accounts(but maybe you don't have any, or even you are the one trying to do something illegal, so google poses bigger threat to you)
            Thing is I never carry any device at all when going outside because there is a lack of security in my country, but that's another issue.

Comment

You and Sonadow are the only ones who claim Windows is not spyware. And what a coincidence, you both are Linux haters.
              I'm also saying Windows is not spyware. The adherence to the belief that Windows is spyware is born out of a need to feel important, that some guy with an average job in some nameless town in some unknown country is important enough to be spied on by a multibillion dollar company and various government agencies.

Do you see how silly this belief is?

Technically could be true, but the solution isn't to drop Linux and use a less secure operating system like Windows, Android or macOS.
              Please reread your response above in the context of what you are responding to. First you say that it may be technically true that Linux may be less secure than competing OSes and then you say the above.

Priceless.
              Last edited by sophisticles; 23 September 2021, 10:27 PM.

Comment

BTW, https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1319799

I talked about that 5 years ago - not a single RedHat/Fedora employee left a comment.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Lol! it can mean anything so let's assume the absolute worst.

Btw, do you know what DNS is and what it's used for? You think your computer is sending "countless amount of DNS requests"? Who do you think these requests are being sent to? And what do you think the receiving party is doing with them?

If your "proof" of "spying" is that you think any device that doesn't run Linux is sending "countless amount of DNS requests" then not only do you have no proof but you also have no idea how basic networking works.
                  Yes, I know what it is. It's for resolving a domain name to an IP address and some other things.
                  These requests are sent by the OS to a DNS server (which is either set by the user or provided during DHCP network configuration; usually one of the following: the ISP's own DNS server, Google DNS, Cloudflare DNS, etc.) in order to resolve the IP address of a Microsoft server which is required in order to establish a connection to it.

Arch Linux does contact ping.archlinux.org every once in a while too, but it is used exclusively to check whether the device has Internet access or is behind a captive portal (often set in malls and other public Wi-Fi networks), but the amount of addresses Windows 10 tries to reach is just insane (and worst of all is that many have rather obvious names (like watson.telemetry.microsoft.com)).
                  While it is near impossible to know what exactly is being sent to Microsoft since it uses the HTTPS protocol (which is encrypted using TLS), who knows what could be sent. It could be anything between nothing at all up to random files in the device.
                  Last edited by tildearrow; 23 September 2021, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Yes, I know what it is. It's for resolving a domain name to an IP address and some other things.
                    These requests are sent by the OS to a DNS server in order to resolve Microsoft's IP address which usually is used to establish a connection.
                    Great, so you googled and came up with an answer.

Do you know who controls the DNS server?

Explain to me how the above is used to spy on you and why you think that your devices are sending countless DNS requests all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Great, so you googled and came up with an answer.

Do you know who controls the DNS server?

Explain to me how the above is used to spy on you and why you think that your devices are sending countless DNS requests all the time.
                      I did not. Why do you assume I did? I don't even use Google (go read my post history from one or two years ago because I once even mentioned that Google is evil).

Let me clarify. I did not mean to say "DNS is used to spy on me". I meant to say "Windows 10 makes a lot of connections to Microsoft servers upon connecting to a network". Excuse me if I was not clear.
                      Last edited by tildearrow; 23 September 2021, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X