Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Linux Strides In H1'21 From FreeSync HDMI To PyTorch ROCm

Phoronix: AMD's Linux Strides In H1'21 From FreeSync HDMI To PyTorch ROCm

As part of our various Q2'21 and H1'21 Linux/open-source recaps, here is a look back at the most popular AMD Linux/open-source news so far this calendar year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really hope they put their legal team to make possible latest HDMI version to be possible on Linux. If not, all this is becoming a joke for us users of AMD hardware.

I understand HDMI is a hairy place, but it's everywhere and users suffer from this.

bridgman

What about latest HDMI on Linux? I know the awful legal reasons, but we users want it to be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      I really hope they put their legal team to make possible latest HDMI version to be possible on Linux. If not, all this is becoming a joke for us users of AMD hardware.

I understand HDMI is a hairy place, but it's everywhere and users suffer from this.

What about latest HDMI on Linux? I know the awful legal reasons, but we users want it to be possible.
      Well, you might just want to use Displayport for advanced features. Any better monitor does offer DP, cheap HDMI Displays can be used with the old less fancy HDMI standards.

Comment

Most gaming monitors use DisplayPort at this time, but the industry is starting to move towards HDMI-only, with 2.0/2.1, which will cause problems for Linux users. There may be a time in the not too distant future when DisplayPort goes back to being a poorly supported input/output on expensive niche monitors or it may disappear all-together, if HDMI continues to gain ground.

Comment

I'm starting to see displayport over USB-C on more and more laptops and monitors - does that allow all DP capabilities on Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Syfer View Post
            I'm starting to see displayport over USB-C on more and more laptops and monitors - does that allow all DP capabilities on Linux?
            Yes, DP is fine.

Comment

Working...
            X