Microsoft Announces Windows 11 - Benchmarks Against Linux To Begin Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    When Win 10 was released, Microsoft said v10 would be the "last version" of Windows, and that going forward, Windows OS would be a rolling release, like a SaaS model. Didn't them long to change course yet again. LMAO. Can't wait to experience all the new spy-ware they've baked in!
    Ha!

Can't wait to experience all the new SLOWDOWNS they've baked in!
    Windows 10 was lightweight in 2015 and instantly turned into a hog.
    I mean come on, even AmigaOS 3 on a 7Mhz 68000 feels much faster than Windows 10 on a 2.5GHz Core i5 laptop (on HDD). And that's on floppy!
    Last edited by tildearrow; 24 June 2021, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Windows 11 with Android app support?! What!
      Ugh, when closed source wins.

Linux took years to have half-working Android app support (ironic, huh?).
      Chrome OS took months to have working Android app support.

And Windows took weeks to have working Android app support?! How is this possible!
      The Windows kernel has absolutely nothing to do with the Linux or Android (modified Linux) one, so what the heck!
      Windows announced it was working on android app support a long time ago now. How is it possible? I suspect its simply running android in wsl2 and using the wsl2 gui stuff.

I think microsoft wants to really push into the tablet and phone space, in which case they can largely avoid the last shit show that arm machines were, without needing M1 levels of x86 -> arm translation support. but that's merely my guess.

Comment

Notice the requirement for TPM 2.0 which means those without TPM 2.0 now have 5 years left on win 10 for unreasonable reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat2 View Post
          Also they are dropping support for Intel Kaby Lake 7th-gen and older CPUs:
          https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tel-processors
          This alone will deter folks from win11. There are more than a few 7700k gaming pc's out there that are still in service today. Heck the 7700k chip sells used for ~$220 on the electronic bay, so clearly there is demand for it, likely for upgrading older motherboards. Kaby Lake was only 4 years ago...
          Last edited by torsionbar28; 24 June 2021, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I'm watching the "The 2021 Microsoft Windows Event" and 90% of what they're showing, has been in Linux desktops for years and years, and some of the things they're saying are downright lies. Like they have this "snap" or whatever they're calling it, which is basically tiling, and they're claiming that no other system does that with as many windows. Tiling VM's can definitely do more windows than that, and it takes a fraction of the time.
            I like the fact that it's capable of repopulating a screen that is disconnected, then reconnected, but I assume that it wouldn't take tooooo much to mimic on Linux - if it doesn't already exist (although I could imagine that it might be challenging on Wayland).
            Then there's teams, that'll be integrated into Windows... Great - more bloat. And they're talking about it as was it some magical software. I basically get the same, and more with Telegram.
            Multiple desktops are being presented as something revolutionary... Firstly; *yawn* (I don't mean that as it's not a fantastic tool, just that it has been such a natural part of Linux desktop for decades), secondly; they were in Windows 10.
            And then they're presenting "widgets" as a custom feed - more useless bloat, and a start menu that adapts - I prefer for my menus to be static. I prefer to navigate by muscle memory.
            They're also presenting the ability to seamlessly work between devices, which mean more cloud, more data being sent from people's devices, more reliance on internet and MS cloud-services, and so on.
            In all of it, they're promoting more annoying automation - and my experience with everything MS, is that it does all the things you don't want it to; so not only do you have to contend with annoying popups, and things stealing focus, no, you also basically have to undo everything Windows automatically does.
            They also keep going on about how Windows adapts to you. I don't need their adaptions to me, because they're limited - I just want to be able to get rid of bloat, not have my OS install random cr#p, and have it do what I ask it to, and use simple functional tools, that isn't noisy, doesn't get in the way, and act as I expect them to. So I don't want your forced adaption. I'll adapt my system the way I want.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

And the correct solution would be to run software, intended for a different platform?

It does seem like something you as a customer have request from the manufacturer as a native app. Those control apps are trivial, they can be implemented natively in no time, and most of them could probably work as web apps in a browser too.

Otherwise we are solving a problem in the most issue prone way, which tends to introduce more problems, which if solved in the same manner, will only amplify problems once more. Good old vicious downward spiral.
              i do agree that native applications would be preferable. But the photo/video world is heavily skewed towards Apple. Every thing has an apple app a little over half have an android app. Almost none of them have a native Windows application some have Mac applications. The idea that they are going to create a native Linux application isn't realistic. The control apps may be simple to create once you know how every thing communicates but this isn't an industry where companies readily provide that information. But your not wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                This alone will deter folks from win11. There are more than a few 7700k gaming pc's out there that are still in service today. Heck the 7700k chip sells used for ~$220 on the electronic bay, so clearly there is demand for it, likely for upgrading older motherboards. Kaby Lake was only 4 years ago...
                There is a lot of that going around these days. Cue the stories about the surge in E waste.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  Anyone who thought 10 was the last version of Windows was kidding themselves. Even the longest term Linux distributions have version changes because after enough time enough shit changes that you can't claim compatibility with 1.0 of a product...especially when you're on version 12 of those releases like Windows 10 is. Yes. (According to Wikipedia) There have been 12 Windows 10 releases. To put that into Linux perspective, using an OG Windows 10 install disk and updating the OS would be equivalent to running a dist-upgrade on Ubuntu 16.04 and upgrading it to 21.04. At some point in time it's just unreasonable to expect that to be sustainable and viable. They were kidding themselves if they thought they could keep up with it.
                  Arch Linux 9 is my favorite version.

Non-sarcastically, they had announced that Windows 10 was moving to a rolling release model. Having successfully used a rolling release desktop OS for years, I didn't doubt it was technically feasible. Having owned three generations of Zune however, I knew Microsoft wouldn't follow through with it.

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                  Windows announced it was working on android app support a long time ago now. How is it possible? I suspect its simply running android in wsl2 and using the wsl2 gui stuff.

I think microsoft wants to really push into the tablet and phone space, in which case they can largely avoid the last shit show that arm machines were, without needing M1 levels of x86 -> arm translation support. but that's merely my guess.
                  If anything the project has come full circle. WSL had started as Project Astoria, a subsystem for running Android apps on Windows Phones in the Windows 10 Mobile era. After buying and murdering Nokia's phone division I doubt they're looking to sink a lot of money in that direction soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                    Notice the requirement for TPM 2.0 which means those without TPM 2.0 now have 5 years left on win 10 for unreasonable reasons.
                    I don't understand why though, considering Microsoft is the compatibility company.
                    What is so special about TPM that Windows 11 needs it?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I don't understand why though, considering Microsoft is the compatibility company.
                      What is so special about TPM that Windows 11 needs it?
                      DRM and I don't mean Direct Rendering Manager

Comment

Working...
                      X