Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Announces Windows 11 - Benchmarks Against Linux To Begin Soon

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    How is this a new Windows without a new DirectX13 or some other restriction that forces one to buy it or else!! ... What am I missing here? What is it that forces good, honest citizens having to buy this? If it does not have a catch then it it is not a new Windows.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by sdack View Post
      What is it that forces good, honest citizens having to buy this? If it does not have a catch then it it is not a new Windows.
      1 - you don't have to pay for it, it is a free update
      2 - it will probably become a mandatory update at some point
      3 - 11 is moar than 10
      4 - 11 is two 1s, and lots of people dig that for some reason

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by ddriver View Post

        But why? What makes android pretty much useless for anything other than toy devices is the complete and utter lack of useful software.

        Is running useless android apps a good return of investment for the increase in code, needed to facilitate it?
        I am a photographer/videographer and almost every thing I own has an app to control it. The lights, the cameras, the audio gear ... . There is so much of it that I can't install any thing else. I can't give out my number because if some one phones the apps get interrupted and can ruin a take. I have been dreaming of the day that they implement app support into the Linux desktop. But in a safe and secure way. Being able to load shot information on a real keyboard would be a god send.

        I wonder if they has eliminated the insane memory and CPU limitations on Win11. That is 1980 era dumbfuckery.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

          I am a photographer/videographer and almost every thing I own has an app to control it. The lights, the cameras, the audio gear ... . There is so much of it that I can't install any thing else.
          And the correct solution would be to run software, intended for a different platform?

          It does seem like something you as a customer have request from the manufacturer as a native app. Those control apps are trivial, they can be implemented natively in no time, and most of them could probably work as web apps in a browser too.

          Otherwise we are solving a problem in the most issue prone way, which tends to introduce more problems, which if solved in the same manner, will only amplify problems once more. Good old vicious downward spiral.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by ddriver View Post

            And the correct solution would be to run software, intended for a different platform?

            It does seem like something you as a customer have request from the manufacturer as a native app. Those control apps are trivial, they can be implemented natively in no time, and most of them could probably work as web apps in a browser too.

            Otherwise we are solving a problem in the most issue prone way, which tends to introduce more problems, which if solved in the same manner, will only amplify problems once more. Good old vicious downward spiral.
            All the components for an AMDGPU Control Panel on Linux joke is there.

            Comment


            • #26
              I would like to see windows 11 have some protections for vfio gamers, as more desktop use migrates away from windows, windows should be doing what it can to maintain any use. but it is funny to see how bad windows is getting, lately it has been more buggy than ever. on a happy note, I know one of the local libraries near me is no longer using windows, it is using some linux distro running kde.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

                I am a photographer/videographer and almost every thing I own has an app to control it. The lights, the cameras, the audio gear ... . There is so much of it that I can't install any thing else. I can't give out my number because if some one phones the apps get interrupted and can ruin a take. I have been dreaming of the day that they implement app support into the Linux desktop. But in a safe and secure way. Being able to load shot information on a real keyboard would be a god send.

                I wonder if they has eliminated the insane memory and CPU limitations on Win11. That is 1980 era dumbfuckery.
                You mean like
                https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anbox
                ?
                I haven't tried it myself though, so I don't know how well it works.

                Comment


                • #28
                  I have just noticed this:
                  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...specifications
                  Windows 11 Home edition requires internet connectivity and a Microsoft account to complete device setup on first use.
                  Also they are dropping support for Intel Kaby Lake 7th-gen and older CPUs:
                  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tel-processors

                  Edit: Also, they apparently require Secure Boot to be enabled: https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status...01708216078337
                  Last edited by Mat2; 24 June 2021, 03:23 PM. Reason: Secure Boot, grammar

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Windows 11 with Android app support?! What!
                    Ugh, when closed source wins.

                    Linux took years to have half-working Android app support (ironic, huh?).
                    Chrome OS took months to have working Android app support.

                    And Windows took weeks to have working Android app support?! How is this possible!
                    The Windows kernel has absolutely nothing to do with the Linux or Android (modified Linux) one, so what the heck!

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by mbrf View Post

                      You mean like
                      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anbox
                      ?
                      I haven't tried it myself though, so I don't know how well it works.
                      Ill be blunt, its junk. it is unstable, and poor preforming, collabora had an alternative PoC called SPURV, but nothing materialized out of it sadly.

                      OpenSynergy also has an implentation, but its a fully virtualized enviroment. and oriented for vehicle dashboards

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X