Red Hat Is Hiring Even More Graphics Engineers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lu_tze View Post

"Czechia" and "Česko" are considered derogatory. So if you want to insult people, go ahead.

The rest of us will continue calling it Czech Republic / Česká republika, despite the inconvenience (oh noes!) of being longer.
    Much ado about nothing -- reminds me of the time I had to explain how Merica is derogatory and is used by the rest of the world to make fun of us. I'm a bit dyslexic so I'm reading about those idiots in Mercia most of the time anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by lu_tze View Post

"Czechia" and "Česko" are considered derogatory. So if you want to insult people, go ahead.

The rest of us will continue calling it Czech Republic / Česká republika, despite the inconvenience (oh noes!) of being longer.
      What are your sources? All I could find was the Czech government very much recommending you call the place Czechia.

Jde o: Czechia (ang.), Tchéquie (fr.), Chequia (šp.), Чехия (rus.) a dále v arabštině a čínštině.

Comment

Originally posted by dekernel View Post
        Heck, even Linus apparently doesn't have issues with it, and his opinion brings far more weight than guys like you.
        What if Linus said, on video, that Linux on the desktop sucks? How would you feel then?

Linus Torvalds on why desktop Linux sucks - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by WalterCool View Post

Not really, OpenSource and Capitalism are okay, the problem with RedHat is how much influence they have in opensource projects. They have too much power in certain groups... like Gnome.

Same goes for Microsoft/Redhat/Intel on Linux.
          Yeah so your argument is that Red Hat should stop contributing so much open source code, and wait for other to make up the slack? How do you motivate others to actually put in the work? Or are you just wishing and dreaming?

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

yes and then like most of ibm projects simple die like power cpus, desktop software etc. Rh had some relevance with server side of linux with desktop they simple give up many years ago the only one who pushs and make linux desktop usable was canonical/ubuntu
            You are correct in that Red Hat did not focus on selling a consumer desktop. However, the sales of their workstation product was and is robust. The focus went there because that is where the money is. And those funds are reinvested into more graphics engineers... because a majority of their workstation clients are movie studios and engineering shops.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
              Without Red Hat, Linux as a whole would be far more pragmatic and user oriented. It might even have overcome at least MacOS.
              It would not be less interesting in any way, it would be different. Probably for good.
              Then revert all the Red Hat contributions of code in your Linux systems, so that you can get that pragmatic and user oriented experience. Ohwait, without those contributions most of your stuff doesn't work? Shame.

You literally have no idea what you are talking about here.

Except they really don't.
              The people that use Red Hat products disagree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                Oh so you assume only the less experienced are the ones who dislike Red Hat? And yet at the same time people have been avoiding Red Hat as a company for decades. Does that not seem like a contradiction?
                No I acknowledge that there are stupid ignorant people who have been around open source for a long time as well who like to look cool talking shit about Red Hat.

Those people should back out all the Red Hat contributions to open source from their desktop and server platforms to avoid them completely. Otherwise those people are full of shit.

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                Red Hat could just as easily have leeched on other operating systems. It still would not have made them a company many people would want to engage with.
                Red Hat could just as easily have contributed on other operating systems. I would not have made Linux to powerhouse it is today. FIFY

Comment

I was only focusing on user friendliness, and I disagree that Red Hat really helps the Linux ecosystem in that specific aspect. Basically everything Red Hat comes up with feels less user friendly and harder to use (except, say, pulseaudio then pipewire).
                  I disagree with this. Their tools often improved user friendliness and made it easier to use. Since we are just talking about feels and opinions, which are both equally valid, its all canceled out.

If it were not for other players and their pragmatism to rock the RH boat and have them remember what users actually want, Linux usage would fall down to (even more) negligible point percentages. If other players had RH financial means, I believe the ease of use would have improved tenfold.
                  What other players? Please tell me about the other players who are rocking the boat. I'll get my popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                    What if Linus said, on video, that Linux on the desktop sucks? How would you feel then?

Linus Torvalds on why desktop Linux sucks - YouTube
                    And sadly, I agree with him. Linus tells it like he sees it.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

I suggest you look up "irony" in a dictionary
                      I laugh about how he totally missed you point, I blame language barriers

Comment

Working...
                      X