Red Hat Is Hiring Even More Graphics Engineers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Both Michael and moderators of this website have a grudge against me so who knows. Don't know what I did to earn this. I don't suck AMD's pp and I don't say "Windows sucks" on every occasion, so perhaps it's that. I also have a very unpopular view of Linux despite using it more and for longer than 98% visitors of this website (Michael included, LOL), and that makes me a sort of a black sheep.
    Birdie molts - well you earned your reputation. But I have to admit your latest posts are more balanced. I have started to take you seriously (no irony!)

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

why should they ?... they abandon nvidia for a long time.

IBM/Redhat should buy AMD and then make sure linux works best with -AMD gpus...
      yes and then like most of ibm projects simple die like power cpus, desktop software etc. Rh had some relevance with server side of linux with desktop they simple give up many years ago the only one who pushs and make linux desktop usable was canonical/ubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

And pushing entire ecosystem forward with modern software. Without Red Hat Linux would be far less interesting. Hopefully their priorities won't change after acquisition by IBM.
        Without Red Hat, Linux as a whole would be far more pragmatic and user oriented. It might even have overcome at least MacOS.
        It would not be less interesting in any way, it would be different. Probably for good.

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        1. RH is evil because it makes Linux easy to use
        Except they really don't.

Comment

Originally posted by dekernel View Post
          Not going to waste my time because odd are, they are gripes of people that have so little experience.
          Oh so you assume only the less experienced are the ones who dislike Red Hat? And yet at the same time people have been avoiding Red Hat as a company for decades. Does that not seem like a contradiction?

Originally posted by dekernel View Post
          Linux has surpassed Unix in every way, and much of that work has come from companies like Red Hat that have matured and enhanced it to where it can and does run in mission critical environments.
          Red Hat could just as easily have leeched on other operating systems. It still would not have made them a company many people would want to engage with.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post

Except they really don't.
            Except they really do. Of course if what you expect is something that looks and behaves like a classic unix system then for sure, using it as such today is not as easy as it once was and will only become harder and harder as the OS moves further down the path that the major players including (but by no means only) RedHat are driving. If on the other hand you accept to look at Linux as an OS on its own and don't expect it to always mimic something else, then the progress towards user friendliness and Just Working that has been accomplished is truly remarkable.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              Red Hat could just as easily have leeched on other operating systems. It still would not have made them a company many people would want to engage with.
              Since we are talking about one of the main driving forces, both in terms of manpower and finances, behind Linux and the related ecosystem in general, you have a very unusual definition of leeching. Some would have thought that a leech is one who consumes everything, contributes nothing, pays for nothing and only whines on forums calling actual operators names without ever providing any actual argument despite being challenged to do it a couple of times now.

Comment

Yeah but see, you don't understand. Here are the fundamental reasons why Red Hat is the devil, as seen on various forums. I'm not making up any of them:[*]RH is evil because it's a corporation. Open Source ought to be anticapitalist.
                Open Source != communism

Doesn't the GPL (and most open-source software licenses in general) allow for commercial use of the software? (e.g. selling copies of binaries/code)

[*]RH is evil because it employs people to work full time on FOSS software. Only spare time hobbyist coders should be allowed to touch it.
                ....and those people earn money to live (98% of people require money to survive pretty much).
                If Linux was exclusively a hobby unpaid project, where is the incentive?
                I bet our graphics cards wouldn't have even worked under it if we did not have companies working for open-source.

[*]RH is evil because systemd/wayland/dbus/not-unix. Linux must not be allowed to innovate or break ranks with Unices. Any use case should be addressed exclusively using vigrepsedawk, or not at all.
                I hope you are kidding now. Let me tell you that systemd makes it super easy to set my server up and running.
                Sure, bash scripts may look simpler, but then when you have to handle a lot... *insert sounds of a collapsing attic*

[*]RH is evil because it makes Linux easy to use and not l33t enough.
                Do you really see this as a disadvantage?
                If it was very "l33t" I don't think you would have seen Wine or Steam on Linux, and it would cause Linux to have an even lower usage share on desktop.

Also, I think you forgot about Canonical/Ubuntu... (they were the pioneers of user-friendly Linux)

[*]RH is evil because it makes it harder for me to get my crappy buggy minimal suckless window manager to be taken seriously
                ​​​​​​​suckless = exchanging usability for simplicity

[*]RH is evil because reasons.
                Did you just run out of reasons to call Red Hat evil? ;p

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Open Source != communism

Doesn't the GPL (and most open-source software licenses in general) allow for commercial use of the software? (e.g. selling copies of binaries/code)

....and those people earn money to live (98% of people require money to survive pretty much).
                  If Linux was exclusively a hobby unpaid project, where is the incentive?
                  I bet our graphics cards wouldn't have even worked under it if we did not have companies working for open-source.

I hope you are kidding now. Let me tell you that systemd makes it super easy to set my server up and running.
                  Sure, bash scripts may look simpler, but then when you have to handle a lot... *insert sounds of a collapsing attic*

Do you really see this as a disadvantage?
                  If it was very "l33t" I don't think you would have seen Wine or Steam on Linux, and it would cause Linux to have an even lower usage share on desktop.

Also, I think you forgot about Canonical/Ubuntu... (they were the pioneers of user-friendly Linux)

​​​​​​​suckless = exchanging usability for simplicity

Did you just run out of reasons to call Red Hat evil? ;p
                  I suggest you look up "irony" in a dictionary

Comment

Except they really do. Of course if what you expect is something that looks and behaves like a classic unix system then for sure, using it as such today is not as easy as it once was and will only become harder and harder as the OS moves further down the path that the major players including (but by no means only) RedHat are driving. If on the other hand you accept to look at Linux as an OS on its own and don't expect it to always mimic something else, then the progress towards user friendliness and Just Working that has been accomplished is truly remarkable.
                    I was only focusing on user friendliness, and I disagree that Red Hat really helps the Linux ecosystem in that specific aspect. Basically everything Red Hat comes up with feels less user friendly and harder to use (except, say, pulseaudio then pipewire).
                    If it were not for other players and their pragmatism to rock the RH boat and have them remember what users actually want, Linux usage would fall down to (even more) negligible point percentages. If other players had RH financial means, I believe the ease of use would have improved tenfold.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Fox View Post

Just like the "Republic of Poland" (official full name) is referred to as Poland (usual short form) in most contexts, in the same way the "Czech Republic" is Czechia. Or the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" is United Kingdom, if you really want me to illustrate the pointlessness of using the long-form official names in day-to-day talk.
                      "Czechia" and "Česko" are considered derogatory. So if you want to insult people, go ahead.

The rest of us will continue calling it Czech Republic / Česká republika, despite the inconvenience (oh noes!) of being longer.

Comment

Working...
                      X