IBM, Red Hat, VMware & Others Form The Inclusive Naming Initiative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cyclistefou View Post

How is it offensive to call a master... a master, and a slave... a slave? The human slavery as historical (and still current) fact, is horrible, but it is not the mentioning of it that is! It can also be mentioned for denouncing it!
    Yes you can mention slavery in order to denounce it, and nobody is stopping you from doing so. The only thing that has happened is that several more companies have decided that the 'master/slave' terminology doesn't belong in technology because of the terrible connotations, both current and in history. I truly do not understand why this is at all controversial.

Forbidding names like master / slave is completely moronic.
    Nobody is forbidding anything: YOU can use those terms all you want. The rest of the world however is moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by TMM_ View Post
      No, what's happening is the removal of a cultural division between people of good faith. This new cultural division is between people who oppose trying to be more inclusive and those who do not. [...]
      MORE INCLUSIVE? Please grow a brain.

Comment

MORE INCLUSIVE? Please grow a brain.
        I literally can't argue with that.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Did not know that. I was just having a little fun with an initial perspective on something.
          I did see the fun you were poking. Just figured maybe that one fact might hopefully deter some others from another freakout, although it probably won't.

Comment

The rest of the world however is moving on.
            Only a loud minority is.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              I did see the fun you were poking. Just figured maybe that one fact might hopefully deter some others from another freakout, although it probably won't.
              I fully concur - as I mentioned earlier, that little discussion is a learning point. Is it not better to have an open-minded discussion than a flame war where "if you do not agree with me you are an -ist, -ic, or -ism?" The beauty of free speech and discussion/debate is being able to do so with an open mind, be willing to change your mind, and be willing to admit that you are incorrect or that we agree to disagree without ridiculous name calling.
              Last edited by f0rmat; 19 November 2020, 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling
              GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

The incel brigade getting triggered. No surprise there.

Comment

Originally posted by pixo View Post
                  Many of the terms used are understood by many cultures.
                  Take master/slave. The relationship is understood by most, if not all, adult humans. It has nothing to do with racism outside of US. Humans have enslaved other regardless of skin color and difference. Yet only the US one matters.
                  Yes the terms are understood by many cultures. Not all of whom have a now fairly long history of using them in the context of computing, and for them this terminology only evokes the understanding of slavery. This is simple fact is why changing these terms is a net good, not the reason NOT to change them. And why are you opposing it? It doesn't cost us anything, and it might do some good.

What does "people of color" mean? Is white not a color? Isnt this term used by racist saying that only white people are the bad ones?
                  No, it's a generally accepted term to be inclusive of non-white people without having to list all possible non-white skin tones and was the correct term in this case. You almost certainly know this but in case you didn't, now you do.

Also nice of you calling everyone from different society and culture a barbarian.
                  I did no such thing, and I frankly have no idea what you're talking about.

Comment

Yes you can mention slavery in order to denounce it, and nobody is stopping you from doing so. The only thing that has happened is that several more companies have decided that the 'master/slave' terminology doesn't belong in technology because of the terrible connotations, both current and in history. I truly do not understand why this is at all controversial.
                    It is controversial because of the high push for everybody to change their language "or else", and also for the blatant hypocrisy of addressing words, without addressing the core problem. It 's controversial because the proponents of those idiotic changes somehow imply that not complying with these braindead ideas means being a racist. It's kind of "do as we say or you're a racist". It's controversial because this is claiming to solve issues while just making noise and changing perfectly fine terms for something less useful. It's controversial because of the way it is being imposed, via riots, via cancelling (cancel culture). It's controversial because it's not based on facts.

Nobody is forbidding anything: YOU can use those terms all you want. The rest of the world however is moving on.
                    Only a part of the world is doing what you claim, with one part being aggressive morons and the other one being clueless sheep (maybe well-intentioned, I would not deny that).

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                      Only a loud minority is.
                      The facts seem to bear out that the 'loud minority' is the one opposing these changes. These changes keep being made, the same trite arguments get trotted out loudly, and the changes happen anyway. Nothing bad happens to the project(s) that do so. Everyone just moves on, except for a small minority.

Comment

Working...
                      X