IBM, Red Hat, VMware & Others Form The Inclusive Naming Initiative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cyclistefou View Post
    It is controversial because of the high push for everybody to change their language "or else", and also for the blatant hypocrisy of addressing words, without addressing the core problem.
    This exactly. In the name of Tolerance and Inclusivity, we demand you bow to our arbitrary new standard or we will ostracise you from society and punish you economically!!

So tolerant and inclusive, they're standing at the ready to harm and penalize anyone who won't goose step to their mantra. This belongs in the same bucket with BLM and all the other similar toxic initiatives.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 19 November 2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

IBM sells mass surveillance and internet filtering software to dictatorships (or was it HP, i forget).
      Red Hat helps build weapons.
      Others idk, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to find most of them to have their fingers willingly dirty.

But hey, we gotta look after our image. And this is the latest, hipp-est, most popular thing to do.

This whole thing stinks of immaturity and aggression. Not that i blame people who push it, it's just... sad i guess.

Comment

It is controversial because of the high push for everybody to change their language "or else", and also for the blatant hypocrisy of addressing words, without addressing the core problem. It 's controversial because the proponents of those idiotic changes somehow imply that not complying with these braindead ideas means being a racist. It's kind of "do as we say or you're a racist". It's controversial because this is claiming to solve issues while just making noise and changing perfectly fine terms for something less useful. It's controversial because of the way it is being imposed, via riots, via cancelling (cancel culture). It's controversial because it's not based on facts.
        And by the way why am I getting triggered here? Because of this suite of arguments. Enough is enough of this circus. This is wasting our time, some money when you have to change code because terms have changed, this is causing confusion about terms when doing architecture/design, and frankly this is insulting to be considered racist by the majority of SJWs when refusing to comply with those idiotic requests. Because as a person, I DO care about racism, I am in a mixed marriage, my children are mixed-blood, most of my friends are from other colors, I would rather die than allowing racism (the real racism, not this idiotic made-up straw man claim of racism depicted by most SJWs), my heroes are Martin Luther King and Gandhi (and Jesus Christ above all), and I fight racism daily with REAL love, REAL interest in the other. When I witness a REAL act of racism (happens very rarely here in Switzerland), I try to take the bullet and protect the innocent target.

Because I LOVE people of all colors, and care about justice, I HATE the hypocrisy of this stupid SJW war on this freaking stupid avatar of racism they have created! I have been on multiple continents, I have fought racism (the real one) and similar stuff where I have seen it, and I HATE that the real issues are being disfigured in a mocking way by just changing names in software!

DO SOMETHING REAL AGAINST RACISM AND STOP ANNOYING EVERYBODY WITH THIS STUPID NAME CHANGING HYPOCRISY!

Comment

Originally posted by TMM_ View Post

The facts seem to bear out that the 'loud minority' is the one opposing these changes. These changes keep being made, the same trite arguments get trotted out loudly, and the changes happen anyway. Nothing bad happens to the project(s) that do so. Everyone just moves on, except for a small minority.
          That's a lie. Complete inversion of the facts

Comment

People are still dying from actual racism, from humans oppressing other humans. STOP CHANGING NAMES IN SW AND DO SOMETHING REAL ABOUT THAT. Be courageous, stand up, take bullets in their stead, stop annoying people and claim to solve ANY problem by renaming completely innocuous stuff!

Comment

Yes the terms are understood by many cultures. Not all of whom have a now fairly long history of using them in the context of computing, and for them this terminology only evokes the understanding of slavery. This is simple fact is why changing these terms is a net good, not the reason NOT to change them. And why are you opposing it? It doesn't cost us anything, and it might do some good.
              Are you saying that they cant understand the context? This can be taken like you are insulting their intelligence.
              Also to me its quite the wash and waste of resources. As many mentioned the money should be spent in better way.
              It is forcing many people to relearn already established terminology.
              And its better that people dont forget about many bad things. Lots of them were repeated by many societies that had no contact with each other.

No, it's a generally accepted term to be inclusive of non-white people without having to list all possible non-white skin tones and was the correct term in this case. You almost certainly know this but in case you didn't, now you do.
              So I was right that it is a racist term as you used it.
              Note that this is because you claimed that only white people could use master/slave term as if white people are the slavers and all other are/were slaves and would be offended.

I did no such thing, and I frankly have no idea what you're talking about.
              "What if it doesn't actually help? Then we will try different things. Society evolves. It's fine."
              There is no one true correct society. There are many societies, each evolving in their own way with good and bad traits.
              Those sentences imply that there is one and that way of thinking has a nice parallel in Greeks and Roman empire and the use of word barbarian.
              Well at least for me. I will not talk for others as I long understood that people come from different cultures, have different values, think differently and express the same thing in different ways.
              Changing their ways by force like its done now is no less disgusting than slavery.
              Ever consider how this forcefull renaming look to those whose culture was in risk of being wiped out by force?
              You should think about it "sudruh/sudružka".

Comment

The facts seem to bear out that the 'loud minority' is the one opposing these changes. These changes keep being made, the same trite arguments get trotted out loudly, and the changes happen anyway. Nothing bad happens to the project(s) that do so. Everyone just moves on, except for a small minority.
                Really? What is the percentage of world population that actually read the code, header files, etc. that will change? How will that compare to the percentage of people that actually use linux? My guess is the first percentage is less than the second. It is probably far less than the number of people that actually use linux as a desktop. As far as it being a trite audience, perhaps you should try to gain a better understanding of the percentage of people that would like to use linux, but cannot because of changes caused by developers because of their "moral" concerns. Like it or not, linux developers are the minority - and the ones pushing this are definitely the minority - if for no other reason because they are hyper-sensitive about US politics. I guaran-damn-tee you, that outside of the ivory towers, most people give a rat's behind. As I stated in another post in another topic, you are focusing on the Webster Dictionary definition of 2b of master and ignoring the other four definitions. I will make sure I go back to the University of Pittsburgh and have them change my Master's Degree to whatever word that is decided upon by a definite minority working in a very exclusive field writing words that less than a fraction of 1% of the world's population will even see. It sounds like you are trying to assuage your own guilt.
                GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

People are still dying from actual racism, from humans oppressing other humans. STOP CHANGING NAMES IN SW AND DO SOMETHING REAL ABOUT THAT. Be courageous, stand up, take bullets in their stead, stop annoying people and claim to solve ANY problem by renaming completely innocuous stuff!
                  Nah. Watching Main and Commander: Far Side of the World, He-Man and the Main People of the Universe, and renaming my git branches are a lot easier.

Comment

This is very stupid... There is any etymological or philological study behind, just a very trivial racist based analysis that may apply for certain countries but not for all, fair but not universal. If we should use this approach it will unpractical also the "red alarm" terminology. But this is what you would and now is what you get!

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                      This is very stupid... There is any etymological or philological study behind, just a very trivial racist based analysis that may apply for certain countries but not for all, fair but not universal. If we should use this approach it will unpractical also the "red alarm" terminology. But this is what you would and now is what you get!
                      Agreed...however Red Alarm is very racist against Native Americans.
                      GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Working...
                      X