Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• systemd-oomd Looks Like It Will Come Together For systemd 247

Phoronix: systemd-oomd Looks Like It Will Come Together For systemd 247

With systemd 246 releasing soon, it looks like the new out-of-memory daemon will be merged shortly afterwards in allowing sufficient time for testing ahead of systemd 247...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder how it differs from nohang (which supports PSI, low mem warnings, and systemd units).

Edit: so if I'm not mistaken it's just using Facebook's oomd, which is suited for large data centers.
    Last edited by halo9en; 13 July 2020, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
      I wonder how it differs from nohang (which supports PSI, low mem warnings, and systemd units).

Edit: so if I'm not mistaken it's just using Facebook's oomd, which is suited for large data centers.
      If I am correct on this - Gnome and KDE are both moving towards launching applications in their own CGroups and this oom daemon kills procs in cgroups if enabled.

My guess is that all apps by default in the future with have the flag to allow this oomd to do its job

Comment

system-doomd?

Comment

Hopefully this can help Firefox too with tab crashes.

Comment

Systemd-oomd needs to commit kamikaze so it can free resources for important stuff.

Comment

Why not fix the problem in the kernel?

Like not swap executable code when the system is near-OOM?

Comment

Three words: No thank you.

systemd deciding which of my apps to kill and when to kill them sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I can monitor my own system memory just fine, thank you very much. There's conky and applets and htop and glances and system monitors and notifiers all over the place I can use.

Comment

One word: ignorance.
                  Again, people that don't know what they're talking about and haven't got the first clue about how Linux handles OOM situations ideologically condemn it because it has "systemd" in its name.

Comment

Originally posted by Ulmo View Post
                    system-doomd?
                    systemd-oom-nom-nom

Comment

Working...
                    X