H.266/VVC Standard Finalized With ~50% Lower Size Compared To H.265

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post

As I said in my post, I just used MPEG-2 to encode a 4K60 video, so it definitely works.
    And as I said in my post, it is not standards compliant, although the concepts work.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Well, the concepts might be able to be used, but the standards do not support 4K resolution.
      For testing purposes, just test 1080p and multiply the results by 4.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

And as I said in my post, it is not standards compliant, although the concepts work.
        Which standard exactly says that MPEG-2 can not be used for 4K? I see no reason to define a limited resolution in an encoding standard. If you are talking about the DVD or DTV standards, you just do not care about such standards when encoding a file on your computer, they are not relevant and MPEG-2 is a standard by itself, independently of DVD or DTV.

Comment

ampere support h.266 by hardware ?

Comment

The problem that I suspect these guys are about to discover is that h264 is "good enough" (and interestingly going out of patent soon). That's the reality of why HEVC never really took off. That extra 30% you get only matters if you are YouTube or Netflix...

I'm interested in how this stacks up against AV1. I'm betting it'll beat AV1 by at most 10%. I'm also interested in how much AV1 IP it's infringing, and if Google add support to Android...

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post

Well, pirates are already releasing H265 UHD movies small enough to fit on a DVD-9, but who is still using physical media anyway? When I buy a movie on a physical medium, the first thing I do is copying it before the medium fails.
              Call me old fashioned but I still rent Blu-rays and DVDs in the post.

Comment

I buy 4k discs to rip and convert for my plex server. I'll use whatever compression standard is widely supported by my phone, tablet and setup box. I don't have caps and my phone service is unlimited (especially through fast vpn).
                It doesn't cost me any extra to stream larger bit rates.
                only bug streaming companies care and many just get peering agreements to avoid paying. It still depends on the viewing infrastructure that is quite slow to get adoption.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                  The problem that I suspect these guys are about to discover is that h264 is "good enough" (and interestingly going out of patent soon)
                  H.264 patents should expire around 2027-2030. So not really soon unfortunately...

Comment

Typo in the article: Fraunhover -> Fraunhofer

Comment

Patent encumbered junk as usual.

Comment

Working...
                      X