Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
    +1

Wonder how much better KDE would be if run on a GTK+4 base and how difficult would be to port the existing KDE frameworks to GTK4? I can picture a skunkworks project that would port KDE to GTK framework.
    You're probably looking at a complete rewrite. GTK doesn't have the same level of functionality that Qt does.

Comment

Guess it's time to start working on my openbox config skills. Anything that Big Corporate Linux touches just can't be trusted really to not try to lock me in to their walled garden of apps or to monetize me in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

You're probably looking at a complete rewrite. GTK doesn't have the same level of functionality that Qt does.
        Most likely that's true for those components of Qt that do not map cleanly on corresponding GTK+ API calls.

Comment

How's that nobody mentions wxWidgets? Is it that bad? I've always heard great things about it.

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post
            How's that nobody mentions wxWidgets? Is it that bad? I've always heard great things about it.
            This thing is terrible. Every wxWidgets app I tried was total mess. Slow, ugly and buggy.

Comment

GTK is a UI tookit whereas Qt is a complete system programming toolkit. The entire KDE ecosystem is built on top of Qt functionality, moving to GTK would require not just a rewrite but probably a redesign. Also, since GTK could be called GNOME Toolkit nowadays I'm not so sure that KDE would be much better off.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

This thing is terrible. Every wxWidgets app I tried was total mess. Slow, ugly and buggy.
                What can you recommend apart from Qt? I'm a C++ programmer in desperate need of a reliable GUI toolkit.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I believe Filezilla uses it.

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post

What can you recommend apart from Qt? I'm a C++ programmer in desperate need of a reliable GUI toolkit.
                    Few people in this thread have some ideas:

Phoronix: New Qt Releases Might Now Be Restricted To Paying Customers For 12 Months With an apparent blame on the novel coronavirus, The Qt Company is said to be considering restricting new Qt releases to paying customers for a period of twelve months in an effort to boost their near-term finances... http://www.phoronix.com/sc

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post

I believe Filezilla uses it.
                      I didn't use it yet. Springlobby, aMule, BOINC and probably 0 A.D. The last one seems to be working quite well, but the other three were just terrible. Maybe it's not wxWidgets fault, but I bet there's something wrong with it.
                      Last edited by Volta; 08 April 2020, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X