No announcement yet.

Debian To Take On COVID-19 With A Biohackathon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it true that systemd's homed is also a contribution to fight COVID-19?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      Is it true that systemd's homed is also a contribution to fight COVID-19?
      If you mean that the documentation is still pretty developer grade so you'll spend 9 weeks at your home PC trying to get it setup and running while COVID-19 comes and goes...then, yes, yes it is.

Comment

Nice news and some nice comments. There has been a lot of geeky mobilization against the virus. Rosetta@home going form 22k active accounts to 44k nearly overnight. Folding@home smashing its record of donated compute power ot 474 petaflops then 1000 petaflops a few days later.

There are so many volunteers that i have to run Rosetta and Folding at the same time because folding hasn't enough CPU work units to send.

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post
          If you're having trouble getting CPU work units reliably on Folding@Home, you can switch your CPU efforts to Rosetta@Home on BOINC. Rosetta@Home is a very similar project to Folding@Home, and it also has COVID-19 work-units.
          I'm actually having trouble getting the client to work on Debian at all...

Comment

Rosetta and Folding do require GPU support of a fast CPU is enough?

Comment

Too bad the AMD's Opencl on Windows is partially broken. While Navi seems unaffected older AMD cards like my Fury X won't even set up a work unit if it's atom count is 165K or higher. ERROR:exception: Error invoking kernel sortShortList: clEnqueueNDRangeKernel (-5) is the common error. I suspect it's affecting all cards with 4GB of ram or less.

Linux driver gives the same error from what I've read. I borked my neon install trying to install the pro opencl components, black screen errors are the worst. No time to reinstall right now.
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
              Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by Dedale View Post
                Nice news and some nice comments. There has been a lot of geeky mobilization against the virus. Rosetta@home going form 22k active accounts to 44k nearly overnight. Folding@home smashing its record of donated compute power ot 474 petaflops then 1000 petaflops a few days later.

There are so many volunteers that i have to run Rosetta and Folding at the same time because folding hasn't enough CPU work units to send.
                It's not just software either. The 3D printing community has been trying to come up with safety equipment solutions. From copper infused respirators to simple personal sneeze guards. It portends a possibly brighter future than the news is giving us. My state plans on using diapers or swim goggles when the N95 masks run out. :\

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                  A CPU is enough for both projects. Rosetta is CPU only anyway. At the moment i write this post, Folding is sending me GPU units but no CPU ones. So i crunch CPU units on Rosetta (1 per available thread so it uses all your threads if you want). Folding is on at the same time and is happily crunching a unit on my 970.
                  Last edited by Dedale; 28 March 2020, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedale View Post

1000 petaflops is an exaflop, and it's more than the top 100 supercomputers combined. The entire top 500 is around 1.5 exaflops, so if F@H can pass that, they'd probably be more powerful than every supercomputer in the world, combined. They arguably already have both the mantle of "Most powerful supercomputer in the world" and the mantle of "Worst supercomputer interconnect".

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                      Rosetta is CPU only. Folding can use either CPU or GPU, or both.

Comment

Working...
                      X