Imagination Working On A New Open-Source Linux Graphics Driver Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    i'm not sure how you can read word "developing a new Linux open source graphics driver stack, including Mesa and kernel-mode drivers" as "generic"
    At the moment they just want to show the others that Linux matters for the company and obviously they are the last to bring a good driver for tux so.

Comment

well, just as i said, you are discussing your imagination, everyone else is discussing job offer for "developing a new Linux open source graphics driver stack, including Mesa and kernel-mode drivers" listing "Experience of upstreaming changes to an open source project" among requirements
      exactly. they didn't want it 5 or 10 years ago. but now their options are limited. it's time for you to wake up. and i never said i trust them to pull this through. but direction is correct
      Wake up yourself. The direction of not publishing the registering specification for 20 years, and still not today is not "correct". Open Source developer do not want to wait for questionable drivers, if the ever materialize. We want register level ISA specification. Just look at the amazing xf86-video-nv and other stuff vendor driers.

Comment

Originally posted by frep View Post
        At the moment they just want to show the others that Linux matters for the company and obviously they are the last to bring a good driver for tux so.
        at the moment they just have job offer, rest is your imagination

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
          The direction of not publishing the registering specification for 20 years
          i've said it already: stop living 20 years ago. everyone knows they were bad. but they didn't have job offers for developing open drivers either. now circumstances have changed, but you are failing to adapt.
          Open Source developer do not want to wait for questionable drivers, if the ever materialize.
          open source developers have plenty of other arm videocards to hack on. oh wait, neither one has register level isa spec? somehow open source developers manage without it.
          We want register level ISA specification. Just look at the amazing xf86-video-nv and other stuff vendor driers.
          just look at amazing amd, intel and broadcom videodrivers. they all have something in common. (hint: they are funded by vendor. just like powervr could be if subj will not flop)
          Last edited by pal666; 14 February 2020, 05:27 PM.

Comment

i've said it already: stop living 20 years ago. everyone knows they were bad. but they didn't have job offers for developing open drivers either. now circumstances have changed, but you are failing to adapt.
            open source developers have plenty of other arm videocards to hack on. oh wait, neither one has register level isa spec? somehow open source developers manage without it.
            just look at amazing amd, intel and broadcom videodrivers. they all have something in common. (hint: they are funded by vendor. just like powervr could be if subj will not flop)
            Yeah, the whole Linux kernel, all the big open source infrastructure coded by big cooperations, right? I hear Imagination promisses and job offerings for years now without anything to see. You fall for some advertising with one job position, instead of finally releasing hardware documentation. Pro tip: costs you nothing, allows plenty of developer taking a look for free. That there is no open source powervr driver could also mean reversing and programming it is a pain.
            Last edited by rene; 14 February 2020, 05:32 PM.

Comment

this will again result in nothing. If they would just have released register level specifications we would have already a fine open source driver a decade ago. Wonder why they still don't want to do that and have skilled people work on this. Also. even if this employee gets something working, it will be a pain to maintain without any open specifications.
              And a code release of this new driver assumes that the legal department signs off on it. After all, they have to protect their proprietary property.

Comment

I'm very skeptical of PowerVR until they prove otherwise. Having to tell users of the pitfall after they were in the pit was not fun. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1132584
                If Linus can give a middle finger to Nvidia, surely I've earned the right to do the same to PowerVR after all the time I spent triaging Ubuntu bugs and marking duplicates.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  If Linus can give a middle finger to Nvidia, surely I've earned the right to do the same to PowerVR after all the time I spent triaging Ubuntu bugs and marking duplicates.
                  But that's not the Ubuntu way!

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    But that's not the Ubuntu way!
                    Sometimes, the Ubuntu way ends up in catharsis, so it's good that you let that out

Comment

Yes, of course, I should have been more specific: Of course that are the good examples, not the countless of out of tree, half closed with binary blobs, and other sketchy things that are usually floating around, and are still a thing in the Android ecosystem.
                      the article is about opensource driver developers, so that's already a whole step above the blob garbage even if it is Realtek-grade un-upstreamable crap (which lives as out-of-tree or DKMS drivers maintained by downstream projects that care) and should be encouraged.

Comment

Working...
                      X