Imagination Working On A New Open-Source Linux Graphics Driver Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Isn't that only true for closed source vendor drivers? Usually, OSS drivers are of much better quality. As, they also need to comply with quality standards, in order to get merged to kernel. For example, AMD driver was very rejected at first attempt to get merged...
    Not necessarily. Software quality has nothing to do with the license under which it'd distributed. Closed source vendor drivers can range from piss poor to high quality. The same applies for open source drivers as well. The difference is, with open source drivers, more people can see the code and hence the quality.

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      It'll probably be something like what fglrx was, with the exception that some of the code will be available. It'll be a disaster.
      Yes it will have to be total crap and will make the frogs gay. Definitely.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
        because we already know the drill from this companies who have done nothing for 20 years and left countless of Intel GMA500 / Pulsbou UMPC without graphic acceleration as well as countless, even popular, like Ti BeagleBoard and phones and such without open source graphic acceleration.
        Obviously imagination has historically been hostile to the Linux community, I don't know why you feel the need to go over this when it's common knowledge.

And again, that they only want an employee and not simply start by releasing hardware register level specs is already the first indication that this bullshit will continue. And without proper documentation it is a nightmare if not impossible to review and maintain should there ever be a code release. Just look at xf86-video-nv and the -nouveau REWRITE because it was so badly magic number mangled and other drivers like that.
        When did I ever say that a single job posting is sufficient for Imagination to be considered a good open source company, or that it automatically means that their driver will be amazing? As I said, it appears to be *one* step in the right direction, we will have to wait and see if they are going to make any further steps.

Stop buying such hardware and assuming the best.
        I won't buy products with PowerVR chips in them until there are upstream (mesa and kernel) drivers for them, however the video you posted suggests that you do buy systems that contain their hardware.

You seem to be incapable of understanding that there exists a middle ground between immediately writing off all potential efforts of a company (your stance) and being a gullible consumer that blindly trusts that companies will do the right thing (the strawman you've created).

I am cautiously hopeful that Imagination is being dragged kicking and screaming into eventually becoming a decent open source citizen through market pressures. I don't have any delusions that they are suddenly in love with open source, nor will I support them unless they actually produce an open source graphics driver and then get it upstream.

I simply don't see the point in being overly negative until there is actually something concrete to criticize. Rehashing their past fuck-ups isn't productive and doesn't help anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow
          ...really? How come do they want open-source now?
          Different owner most likely.

frankly I saw Imaginations reluctance to support any body beyond Apple as fairly stupid. I’m not sure if this is too little too late but a proper ARM CPU with an Imadjnsadu

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
            I won't buy anything with their chips/IP in it till the drivers are working. Promises are not enough.
            Been bitten by that too many times.
            True enough that promises get broken. The problem is some chips just fit the rest of the systems needs. In any event I think new owners /management is driving this so hopefully it is an honest move.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              fixed
              I do wonder a bit about that! Mainly because of Apples relationship with AMD, the number of engineers hired from there and other factors. Then again Apple decided to relicense recently so who knows.

Comment

Ugh, when they like uid they

Comment

Working...
                X