Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systemd Is Approaching 1.3 Million Lines While Poettering Lost Top Contributor Spot For 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by RomuloP View Post
    Not absolutely everything should be a file.
    Everything is a file in Unix world idea is kind of right thinking that the only form of handle unix apis have is a file. Fun of race conditions when you don't use a proper handle/atomic. So that one has a major grain of truth and where you don't do that you really do need to look closely if what you are doing is right or wrong.

Leave a comment:

• RomuloP
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post

Let me rephrase it: to me, Unix Philosophy is not an utopia, it's a dystopia. As a software design doctrine it's utterly wrong at a very fundamental level. I don't see it as a nice idea that doesn't really work well in practice, rather I consider it to be a terrible idea that wotks exactly as expected, i.e. terribly.
    1. Well to me, in the real world, utopias are always dystopias and vice-versa, what varies is only the intensity of the disaster it produces or delusion it comes from. What I said was that Unix Philosophy is far away from a "worst scenario", in my view. I think that to you it was the worst possible, ok we disagree. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. Software design doctrines are always utterly wrong in my view, every-problem boiler plate doctrines are fantasies, at last to me. Software design guidelines and advice's are always for specific cases, some times the case represents 90% of the software out there, some times not.

3. There exist good advises in Unix Philosophy I think, that work great in specific cases, but the moment it was named a doctrine, and the guidelines where written so raw and so universally it has gone downhill fast, honestly software engineering is a very fictional plus marketed place today, it should not even be named engineering to start , anyway, Unix Philosophy is just another case of many. Not absolutely everything should be a file or plain text and modularity would not be taken as *put whatever vision you want of how to divide software components here*.
    Last edited by RomuloP; 06 January 2020, 04:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    You are like some religious sect..

Worse than Friday in mosque.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied

I understand you, utopia fantasies can be terrifying when you focuses on how damn wrong they go down the hill... But at last to me, there is more than pure terror in Unix Philosophy.
    Let me rephrase it: to me, Unix Philosophy is not an utopia, it's a dystopia. As a software design doctrine it's utterly wrong at a very fundamental level. I don't see it as a nice idea that doesn't really work well in practice, rather I consider it to be a terrible idea that wotks exactly as expected, i.e. terribly.

Leave a comment:

• RomuloP
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post

I put it in the horror literature category.
    I understand you, utopia fantasies can be terrifying when you focuses on how damn wrong they go down the hill... But at last to me, there is more than pure terror in Unix Philosophy.

Leave a comment:

• kgonzales
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Could be some of those Outreachy diversity pigeons. Fly in, $h!t all over, commit a few token gesture LoC, then fly off to "contribute" elsewhere.
    Oh I did not know you had a view into the productivity or quality of the projects coming from the Outreachy program. I am interested in seeing your statistics.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Unix Philosophy is my favorite literature in the fantasy category....
    I put it in the horror literature category.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

GNU Coreutils is ~200K lines and gnulib is ~1.1m

You're going to need to get rid of those too.
    Easy to fix. All true hackers already switched to L4 kernels. They have built everything using TCC and rely on a cut down minimal debloated core of musl as the C std lib. They've also disabled the -j option in Make since running multiple processes concurrently increases resource usage. Few years ago, I would have suggested using busybox instead of GNU userspace, but now there's toybox, which is both superior when it comes to licenses, and also smaller due to lower number of implemented functionality. A toybox hush shell script suffices as PID 1. So, there are lots of promising new projects. Unfortunately people keep fixing bugs, which usually leads to increases in terms of LOCs, which means we'll soon have to start again from scratch. I'm totally devastated every time I think how much the coreutils bloat will slow down the next gen 32-core 5 GHz Ryzen 3s with 128 GB of RAM. Having one 4 kB page more free would totally change the world of computing as we know it.

Leave a comment:

• Niarbeht
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

monolithic project? perhaps
    monolithic computer program? no
    I sometimes wonder what input the people who are against monolithic projects have about the insane dependency bloat on npm.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by GaryTheGravelGuy View Post
    Michael, please do not use transparent background for graphs. It makes them unreadable for those of us who do CSS replacement.
    These are graphs from GitStats and I am using them as is.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X