Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systemd Is Approaching 1.3 Million Lines While Poettering Lost Top Contributor Spot For 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pkese
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Congrats, you've all been successfully trolled. Don't you feel silly?
    No, I'm just honestly and sincerely trying to see how far you can push Poe's law.

Leave a comment:

• pkese
    replied
    Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Isn't it "taken apart" the moment you compile kernel from source? Depending on the choosen config larger or smaller portions get excluded during compile-time out of that 27.8MLoC and not baked into binary.
    That's what they all say. Even SystemD zealots will say that their 1.3 million lines of code will compile into multiple binaries, but we all know it is just another monolith.
    You just can't take it apart...
    Just as you can't take out from Linux a wifi driver and use it in your own script. If you can't put it in a /rc.d script, it's not Unix.
    Last edited by pkese; 02 January 2020, 01:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pkese
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

According to people who preach the "Unix way", you should be able to take out your I/O driver and replace it at runtime.
    ...or at least write a filesystem driver in shell script.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Isn't it "taken apart" the moment you compile kernel from source? Depending on the choosen config larger or smaller portions get excluded during compile-time out of that 27.8MLoC and not baked into binary.
    According to people who preach the "Unix way", you should be able to take out your I/O driver and replace it at runtime.

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    I'm guessing the reason is that they weren't major contributors
    In larger projects such as this, while there is initially a fair amount of low hanging fruit, and new development that many can help with, after some point the code becomes sufficiently stable and complex enough that only those with the time, interest, and (often) employer backing, can meaningfully contribute, and some of the past contributors move on to different projects in their organization.

I do not think total number of contributors is necessarily a good metric to determine the health of a project (unless the number starts to drop precipitously), but it is certainly an easy one to produce.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    Originally posted by pkese View Post
    Devuan got it all wrong. Systemd is not the main problem. The real culprit is Linux.
    Linux kernel violates all UNIX principles (besides, it's not even UNIX).
    It is a single monolithic repository with 27.8 million lines of code that can not be taken apart.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    It just needs only one to continue to exist.

Leave a comment:

• q2dg
    replied
    I would like Systemd to clean/close its more than thousand opened issues. That would be a great indicator.

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied
    All the various quotes replying to pkese
    Congrats, you've all been successfully trolled. Don't you feel silly?

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    yes, we should split any project over 2000 lines of code into something smaller.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X