Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So many bored people.

Comment

I always thought the GIMP had something to do with a guy dressed in leather and Quentin Tarantino. Anyhow due to the intense moral grandstanding and virtue signalling I wish them no luck at all in their new fork.
      Last edited by Slartifartblast; 22 November 2019, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panda_Wrist View Post
        This isn't a fork. This is a person or maybe small group of people literally stealing other peoples work. A name change is not a fork. These people are disgusting.
        Since it's not a GPL violation, there's nothing wrong with it besides being a waste of effort and time.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
          That's pretty much a non-issue. Corporations that need professional image manipulation are almost always going to be using Photoshop. GIMP is held back by the fact that it's not even close to being a product that production art departments can use. It's not even all that reliable in 2.10.x. I've had breaker issues in two of the last three releases that rendered it unsuitable for even basic texturing or retouching. Yes, I reported the issues.
          All commercially licensed software requires authorisation to install as it gets charged to a cost centre, Free/Open Source does not. If you don't work in the Art department, you're not going to qualify for approval for a Photoshop license. I can guarantee you that they're not going to put something called GIMP on the list of available software to install.

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
            They fork and upgrade a project stuck with a UI from the 90s, AND make the name less potentially offensive for some people?

What's not to like about that?
            Because the GIMP project did all that work.. or have you not been paying attention to their rewriting GIMP for the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Only due to the name?

Are you kidding me?

Easter egg removal? Those guys probably don't know what having fun is.
              Are they trying hard to look professional?

Guess what? Even Microsoft had easter eggs in their products, and nobody complained!
              This is just another sad example of why resisting the progressive agenda is so important. The reality is no matter what one does there will be somebody out there that will take offense. “Glimpse” for example might incite people with a negative attitude with respect to voyeurs.

we often hear the term slippery slope and then dismiss it as being an over reaction to a simple adjustment. The problem is the slope is real and the slide down it will lead to no freedom at all to speak your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
                Ah yes, more SJW bullshit.
                In fact, the code of conduct has its own, very visible, menu entry. So I wonder why they didn't rename it to Code of Accepted Practices; mainly because COC is one letter of being much more offensive than GIMP :-D

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
                  Personally, I don't really care about how rude is a name of an application and I'm disabled myself. But, there are more sensitive people out there and in all fairness and openness, they should be allowed to fork and rename a project just because of its name.
                  I’m not all that healthy my self. One of the great freedoms of open source is the freedom to fork any piece of software to suit your needs. That is good. What is bad here is that this fork is all about responding to social pressure from overly sensitive people. It would be far better if the people originally raising the issue where told to go grow a backbone. Of course that might offend those with missing bones but we really need to send a message. The message is pretty simple; your view of the world is not shared by all.

Comment

Not sure. But I think people expects many features that work [very] well from a product, not some unimportant details. Get job done fast and easy, with a minimum amount of steps. A name like GIMP doesn't really matter, unless you are a native speaker . Same for GNU or WINE.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf

Why? GIMP isn't just used in English-speaking countries. A lot of open source work is done in Europe and no one here - except maybe in the UK - finds the name offensive.
                      Indeed, have they not checked that Glimpse means anal sex or fellatio in another language ?

Comment

Working...
                      X