No announcement yet.

Glimpse 0.1 Released As The Rebranded Fork Of The GIMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This isn't a fork. This is a person or maybe small group of people literally stealing other peoples work. A name change is not a fork. These people are disgusting.

Comment

Only one thumbnail-only screenshot of the actual UI on the website of an image manipulation tool? This does not bode well for their competence.

Comment

Glimpse is already a verb.. at least when I say "I'm going to gimp a photo", plenty of people knew what I meant, even if it was only because of name familiarity.. but "I'm going to glimpse a photo"? Come on... Poor ring to it and it doesn't have any brand awareness.

Glimpse should just rebase on gimp over and over if they're so offended by the name, but I highly doubt that the developers are going to flock to it to make it an actual competitor with a chance of actually being better than gimp.

It's just people with nothing to do trying to find something to do. Nothing to see here, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
          Personally, I don't really care about how rude is a name of an application and I'm disabled myself. But, there are more sensitive people out there and in all fairness and openness, they should be allowed to fork and rename a project just because of its name.
          It is their right as granted by the license. However, I also call it unethical to take somebody else's decade-long work and republish it under a new brand, without adding significant own value or even effort.

Comment

They fork and upgrade a project stuck with a UI from the 90s, AND make the name less potentially offensive for some people?

What's not to like about that?

Comment

Lol. IMO dumb idea...

Comment

Ah yes, more SJW bullshit.

Comment

So, I assume this will go about as well as ayo.js, where the vocal minority tries to distract everyone, and their project dies pretty soon and amounts to nothing. What a wonderful waste of resources.

Most people don't even know or think about the "offensive" meaning of GIMP, especially because it's spelled in all caps, and it's an acronym.

I can't wait for a project that tries to rename fsck to something less offensive, simply because it resembles an offensive word.

Comment

Clown World.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                      To be honest, when I found out about GIMP, I didn't even think it was an offensive term.
                      I thought it was an acronym?...
                      It is an acronym. "Gnu Image Manipulation Project" AKA GIMP. FWIW, there's far more likely to be people considering it a sexual fetish thing then referring to crippled or disabled persons.

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                      This is a good idea. I really do think that GIMP has been held back by its name. There is no way that it could be installed in the corporate environments I have worked in (although I often just downloaded it anyway).
                      That's pretty much a non-issue. Corporations that need professional image manipulation are almost always going to be using Photoshop. GIMP is held back by the fact that it's not even close to being a product that production art departments can use. It's not even all that reliable in 2.10.x. I've had breaker issues in two of the last three releases that rendered it unsuitable for even basic texturing or retouching. Yes, I reported the issues.

GIMP's issues have nothing to do with its name and everything to do with the quality of its product in comparison to its main competition.

Comment

Working...
                      X