Red Hat Is Still Hiring To Work On The Linux Desktop + Open-Source Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Why not? They also release it under FOSS license, which anyone can sell under if they want to sell specifically. So not sure how the above has any relevance.
    This has been covered extensively elsewhere. I would recommend you read

Few legal topics in open source are as controversial as contributor license agreements.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post

Any competent programmer will not have any issues like you mentioned. If they're that shitty of a developer, the language won't stop them from sucking that much. C is simple, and if you can't write it securely, you shouldn't touch any programming at all.
      C++ scares off many novice programmers who should not be touching programming. Thats why so much bad code is written in pure C. Also, a lot of novice programmers read from message boards that "C is the best language ever, write all your applications in it", so they do, badly. Also, it is true that using a safer language like python reduces the amount of serious bugs. I think what happens with big security issues is not always caused by novices but more experienced programs who enter a very large existing project and are unfamiliar with its unique memory management regime that is using and do not place the proper memory functions at the proper locations.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Few legal topics in open source are as controversial as contributor license agreements.

Thanks for the reference. The most likely case here is relicensing, which the article mentions.

Comment

Originally posted by Neraxa View Post
          Also, it is true that using a safer language like python reduces the amount of serious bugs. I think what happens with big security issues is not always caused by novices but more experienced programs who enter a very large existing project and are unfamiliar with its unique memory management regime that is using and do not place the proper memory functions at the proper locations.
          Except C is systems programming language, while Python is not. That's why Rust is more appropriate replacement for both C and C++ as a systems programming option.

Comment

From that link:
            We reluctantly sign tolerable upstream project CLAs out of practical necessity.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

GNOME is far easier to support from a commercial point of view.
              and ugh, C++.
              Are you so sure? I don't think so.

And ugh, GObject...

Comment

I answered the question you asked. I wasn't referring to any particular project, so I don't see how I missed anything. Now if you are referring to Qt project, their project requires contributors to sign an agreement that allows a commercial company to sell said contributions under a proprietary license. Red Hat won't agree to that no matter whether you call it a copyright assignment or not
                Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  qarium 100% Agree. A quite amusing fact is that Canonical as part of their own CLA strategy (Harmony) also said they would happily sign any CLA with Qt.

So that time was a Major CLA attack from multiple corporations. Red Hat and Debian barely won. If The CLA Axis of Evil had prevailed then most independent developers would be forced to hack for free, not hack for Free.

KDE’s role in this is minor. Canonical could use some support for going Qt but KDE remained worthless and not CLA-able. Despite KDE not fighting against CLA they never forgave Canonical for Unity8.

GNOME on the other hand fought hard against CLA. And forgave Canonical when they dropped Harmony and Unity. Today Canonical is contributing LOT of resources to GNOME.

Win&Forgive is true Leadership.
                  Yeh but Canonical is still trying to push Snap everywhere, which is not only under a CLA, but also promoting a closed ecosystem, that they personally control. Many people on the Linux desktop have spent the last 20 years fighting agaisnt closed ecosystems. It would be fine if they kept that stuff to their own distro, but now searching "<app I want> Fedora" in Google is bringing up Snapcraft results and loads a Fedora-themed page.

I don't think Canonical ever learned and how many times is the FOSS world going to have to forgive Canonical?
                  Last edited by Britoid; 07 November 2019, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Red Hat dominating US markets, still enough room to grow in other places for the rest of the Linux world. Main competitor of free Linux it's not Red Hat Linux but Windows or Android.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Sway isn't a DE.
                      Sway doesn't have an app toolkit.
                      Sway doesn't have the billion other things required to make a coherent desktop platform.
                      Your DE doesn't have to be a single coherent project, piecing things together is the better approach, as it's possible to replace parts you don't like with something better.

Comment

Working...
                      X