Red Hat Is Still Hiring To Work On The Linux Desktop + Open-Source Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abott View Post

You certainly haven't ever written in C well. C is great as long as you're not a moron.
    C is great to increase the risk of shooting yourself in the foot, and if someone will claim they are are not a moron and it never happens to them, then I'd dispute the first part of the claim It happens to everyone basically due to C's design being ancient.

C as a language is also too minimalistic, which is both good and bad. It's easy to understand the code (unless you overuse some macro horrors), but at the same time it's not expressive and not safe due to the same reason.
    Last edited by shmerl; 06 November 2019, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Interesting bitch session, however you are all wrong when it comes to languages, Swift is the future. Chew on that a bit.

as for GNOME as a long time RedHat user I’m very familiar with it and must say it has its negatives. Still I don’t bother with anything else these days. Too much time focused on the DE kinda takes away the fun I can otherwise have. An open mind would realize that just about every solution out there has its issues.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

You missed the part where it says there is no copyright assignment. See the link I posted above.
        I answered the question you asked. I wasn't referring to any particular project, so I don't see how I missed anything. Now if you are referring to Qt project, their project requires contributors to sign an agreement that allows a commercial company to sell said contributions under a proprietary license. Red Hat won't agree to that no matter whether you call it a copyright assignment or not

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          no kernel and dynamic loader ?
          If a library is written in Rust, it is native and doesn't itself doesn't require C, whether the kernel or loader uses C depends on what language those are written in, could be C++ for instance

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            Interesting bitch session, however you are all wrong when it comes to languages, Swift is the future. Chew on that a bit.
            There are plenty of languages than continue to be far more popular than Swift is

This iteration of the RedMonk Programming Language Rankings is brought to you by YLD. YLD is behind many of the products and services you use every day. We create cutting edge technology and design…

I don't think Swift is taking a major foothold outside of the Apple ecosystem which although popular has a growth ceiling

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
              Red Hat won't agree to that no matter whether you call it a copyright assignment or not
              Why not? They also release it under FOSS license, which anyone can sell under if they want to sell specifically. So not sure how the above has any relevance.

Comment

C is great to increase the risk of shooting yourself in the foot, and if someone will claim they are are not a moron and it never happens to them, then I'd dispute the first part of the claim It happens to everyone basically due to C's design being ancient.

C as a language is also too minimalistic, which is both good and bad. It's easy to understand the code (unless you overuse some macro horrors), but at the same time it's not expressive and not safe due to the same reason.
                Any competent programmer will not have any issues like you mentioned. If they're that shitty of a developer, the language won't stop them from sucking that much. C is simple, and if you can't write it securely, you shouldn't touch any programming at all.

Comment

Any competent programmer will not have any issues like you mentioned.
                  I'd call incompetent anyone who would claim they have no such issues. Good programmers know what they are dealing with, and the risks involved. Incompetent ones think they are too good to make mistakes when dealing with the language that's very prone for them.

Comment

I'd call incompetent anyone who would claim they have no such issues. Good programmers know what they are dealing with, and the risks involved. Incompetent ones think they are too good to make mistakes when dealing with the language that's very prone for them.
                    I'm a good programmer. You're terrible at C and have no clue what you're talking about. You are the incompetent here.

Mistakes made in the language are just that, mistakes. Done by the programmer. The language has no mistakes built in, so the only logical reasoning is you suck at programming if you have issues. You can have mistakes in nearly every language, of varying issues that arise from them. No language is fool proof. If you want something easy to write, you choose python. You need speed, flexibility, scalability, you write C. Anything else, you're fucking yourself by using a language too complex for your own use.

I learned this by thinking the same thing, I thought C sucked. Then, I looked at other code and realized I was the bad programmer for not using the tools C gave me properly.

Lastly, you can implement the object oriented ideas of C++ In C pretty easily, and that is what should be done if you want them. You give up a lot of the language, but that's a GOOD thing. Fuck C++. It's terrible for nearly anything.

Comment

I'm a good programmer.
                      It means you have a lot to improve, since you boast you can't make a mistake using C and can't even admit C is a lot more risk prone than better designed languages. It means you lack understanding of language design.

Lastly, you can implement the object oriented ideas of C++ In C pretty easily
                      You could, at the cost of wasting time dancing around limitations of C minimalism, and making your resulting implementation of higher level abstractions very hard to read and maintain. That would be just that - a waste of time. Better to use expressive languages that were designed avoiding pitfalls of the language created more than 40 years ago.
                      Last edited by shmerl; 06 November 2019, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X