No announcement yet.

Microsoft Will Release Their Edge Web Browser For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets not forget Internet Explorer for Unix. Microsoft only made this while they were attempting to win the browser war. Edge for Linux is more a sign they are not exactly winning. Also there is no exact need for Edge browser on Linux if they Linux Desktop market share is not important for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianXFCE Jr View Post

Nice one.
      It's just a matter of time. It's not like they need their own kernel for much anyway.

Comment

This make me laugh a little.

Comment

Got a feeling that some day Microsoft may drop the NT kernel and go for the linux kernel + MS goodies on top and live off their cloud solutions....

Comment

The funny thing is that they should pay users for users to use their browser. Paying 1 cent for a year for example. Not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              It's just a matter of time. It's not like they need their own kernel for much anyway.
              I didn't take his comment for a fairytale.

Well. They indeed had Xenix, but:
              1. Those were different times - pre NT era
              2. They've put a lot of effort to make their NT kernel, which is used by Server systems and desktops

Considering their server products, stating that it's just a matter of time can be a little bit hasty. But not wrong at all. MS has it's own flavour of FreeBSD for Azure if I'm not wrong. They can choose Linux for a side product (as a first step in switching kernel), but also they can use FreeBSD kernel. Netflix showed their support for this platform lately. But for what they will use *nix kernels? Desktops or servers? Because switching from NT to Linux would indeed be a weird way of porting DirectX.

PowerShell, VS Code, .Net Core are already on Linux as an open-source projects. Now Edge. I wonder what will be next. GUI replacements to make Tux look like breakdows?

Comment

I think they are doing this just be able to stop offering me Windows 10 VMs for free to "test web pages" on Linux.

I've been using those to update maps on my navigator. I don't care the slightest if my (hobby) web pages don't work on Edge.

Also I tried to be funny here, don't think that I believe everything is always about me.

Comment

The hell is freezing over more and more ...

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                    ...name ONE other Chromium-based web browser that's available for Linux, Windows x86, Windows S, Windows on ARM, macOS, iOS, and Android. Heck, you can even throw out the Chromium criteria. There just isn't any.
                    Vivaldi? Not sure about ARM or Win S, but available for macOS, Windows, Linux and Android. Even Chromium isn't available on iOS, the iOS version uses the system WKWebView.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianXFCE Jr View Post

I didn't take his comment for a fairytale.
                      I'm also serious. They don't really have much reason to develop their own kernel anymore. Windows does not need any "killer feature", it's either already a monopoly or completely out of the market.

Comment

Working...
                      X