X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope.

Firefox FTW

Comment

On Windows it has a market, because it can have proper internet explorer integration so its one browser for all that people already have.
      But what selling point do they have on Linux? I assume Playready won't work, i assume IE integration won't work, so at that point its just Chrome with microsoft integration instead of Google integration. I rather just keep using brave on linux.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        One year later: Microsoft Will Release Office For Linux
        And then, replacement of Windows' kernel with Linux

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          As if we didn't already have over three dozen web browsers based on Chromium.
          You're trying really hard to be clever, but then name ONE other Chromium-based web browser that's available for Linux, Windows x86, Windows S, Windows on ARM, macOS, iOS, and Android. Heck, you can even throw out the Chromium criteria. There just isn't any.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            Am I the only one thinking that this is humiliating for Microsoft who controlled 95% of the browser market share 15 years ago to now use Google's browser, give up the smartphone race and lose the web search battle?
            Don't forget the internet server space. Linux was a hobbyist OS not that long ago. Now it runs all of Google, Amazon, Netflix, Facebook, etc. Not to mention all the various Cisco and Brocade LAN and SAN devices behind the scenes. The boring corporate desktop is literally the only place where Microsoft still has dominance, and that's almost exclusively due to MS Office. Which is why they will never release Office for Linux, or if they do, it'll be a crippled cut down version like it was for Mac.

Back to the main topic, IMO releasing Edge browser for Linux is like releasing MS Paint or Notepad for Linux. It's the answer to a question nobody asked. Plus I'm sure it will be cut down, as Edge on Windows has significant hooks into Windows API's, DRM controls, etc. that I doubt will be ported to Linux.
            Last edited by torsionbar28; 05 November 2019, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Will it be distributed via Snap, Flatpak or appimage?

Comment

Just release the code for Internet explorer ( not edge). Still a lot of stuff works just with it, sadly.. (e.g. IP cameras)

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  Am I the only one thinking that this is humiliating for Microsoft who controlled 95% of the browser market share 15 years ago
                  with no browser
                  Microsoft really doesn’t want you to use Internet Explorer anymore

54 comments

Microsoft calls it a compatibility solution, not a browser

By Tom Warren@tomwarren Feb 8, 2019

Comment

Nice, I won't mind using it. Already using Edge on Android anyway.

Would be even better if Edge on Linux is a native Wayland application. That would be a good way to embarrass the Chromium dev team: making Chromium Wayland-ready even before Chromium Ozone stabilizes.

With the amount of resources Microsoft has at its disposal, it's not impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                      Disgusting.
                      Why would I use a browser from the company that makes the spyware disguised as an OS (Windows 10) and tries to destroy their last good OS (Windows 7) ?
                      So, no thanks!
                      I don't want spyware on Linux too!
                      Disgusting.
                      Why would I use a browser from the company that makes the spyware disguised as an OS (Android 5 and up) and tries to destroy their last good OS (Android 4/ICS) ?
                      So, no thanks!
                      I don't want more spyware on Linux too!

That's also how I feel about Google and Chrome these days.

Why would I willingly install Spyware Browser C from Data Collection Corp GO?

Why would I willingly install Spyware Browser E from Data Collection Corp MS?

At least Spyware Browser F from Data Collection Corp MZ has spyware on/off switches and vast amounts of (less restricted than C) anti-spyware plugins.

My experience with Spyware Browser E and Open Source Spyware Browser C is limited to going to mozilla.org to download Spyware Browser F.

Comment

Working...
                      X