Disney+ Currently Won't Work On Linux Systems Due To Tightened DRM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    Amazon also only allows SD resolution playback thanks to their DRM system not working under Linux for HD/UHD (no work arounds work). Still puzzled as to what this DRM stuff is meant to do except piss people off, I mean it clearly doesn't stop copying the content!
    99% of consumers don't use Linux as their home desktop never mind their streaming box.

Comment

what about android or mobile users?

Comment

This kind of thing is why I won't watch something if it's streaming only. No DRM-free download / Bluray / DVD == no sale, and I don't want to see the content either.

And I recommend other recreation to family / friends, having fun without Disney, thus denying them even more sales. Somehow in twisted Disney logic does that mean I'm doing something wrong?

Comment

Ironic. They probably use Linux to stream the content on their massive server farms, but they won't play fair and stream to Linux devices.

Anyways I don't think I would be dumb enough to buy, rebuy, and rebuy their content over and over and again. They can go back to netflix or go out of business for all I care. Their glory days have certainly sunsetted by now.

Comment

Looks like a typo in the article, Widevine Level 3 is the lowest, and Widevine Level 1 is the highest. Netflix, Google Play and others support Widevine Level 3 on Linux, thus allowing for SD content to be streamed (although I've seen Netflix stream HD video on Linux, for anime and some other series like Shannara Chronicles that they don't care about).

Comment

Originally posted by madscientist159 View Post
              This kind of thing is why I won't watch something if it's streaming only. No DRM-free download / Bluray / DVD == no sale, and I don't want to see the content either.

And I recommend other recreation to family / friends, having fun without Disney, thus denying them even more sales. Somehow in twisted Disney logic does that mean I'm doing something wrong?
              No, it's just twisted human logic. People assume you are crazy, insane for not doing what most other people do.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                Ironic. They probably use Linux to stream the content on their massive server farms, but they won't play fair and stream to Linux devices.

Anyways I don't think I would be dumb enough to buy, rebuy, and rebuy their content over and over and again. They can go back to netflix or go out of business for all I care. Their glory days have certainly sunsetted by now.
                Yeah, but lots of other people will use the service. And given Disney holds all of the rights, they'll just pull their content from other services and only stream on their platform.

Comment

My girlfriend is a huge Disney fan and is definitely wanting Disney+.

Rather than just blantely accepting that it wont work on Linux,

Why not try and see if the Disney+ Android app might work on Linux via Anbox + GApps + Libhoudini ARM layer and on my Chromebook with ARC++ runtime. Furthermore, I'd be curious to see if the the video stream might work via the Chrome/Firefox browsers in VMware or VirtualBox on a Linux host and Windows 10 guest?

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                    My girlfriend is a huge Disney fan and is definitely wanting Disney+.

Rather than just blantely accepting that it wont work on Linux
                    If you're not going to wean her off her Disney habit, why not just accede to her demand (and her master Disney's demand), and rent the content the way they want you, when they want you to, if they let you, and pay what they want per view and per month?

Comment

Saying Netflix and Amazon "work fine" on Linux while they limit you to 720p or even 480p is...questionable ^^
                      So it doesn't really take me wonder that an evil corp like disney would be even worse...

Comment

Working...
                      X