Disney+ Currently Won't Work On Linux Systems Due To Tightened DRM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by msotirov
    Not saying I approve of DRM but how is ignoring a potential market segment of sub 1% "shooting yourself in the foot"?
    The issue of DRM does not just affect Linux users believe it or not. Last time I was on windows10 I also had issues getting HD/UHD content to stream due to DRM nonsense. It would often tell me my monitor/cable configuration is not compliant, what a load of bs!

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov
      Not saying I approve of DRM but how is ignoring a potential market segment of sub 1% "shooting yourself in the foot"?
      It's a little more than 1%, since as the article says, it affects many Android and Chromebook devices too. He doesn't give details, but I would assume the big names like Samsung work fine, but anyone using smaller brands might have issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
        Not sure how you would get more than swdrm with an open stack. A distro could theoretically certify, but I assume it means widevine would break if you recompiled a portion of the stack it uses.
        The issue is that widevine does not have much way to know if the stack is secure or not. You can trick it easily if you can provide the right blobs.

Like most DRM, it relies on the whole stack of the device being stable and not alterable by the user.

Which is why it falls flat on its face if someone hacks the application to think the device is "max security" (which are most of the "netflix app" hacks so far)

Also of course HDCP is another obvious weak link. It's very easy to set up a systemw ehre you can just send the stream to a HDMI capture card.

Comment

Originally posted by Naquatis View Post
          DRM .. you mean the stuff you filter after you have paid the filmcrew for your fun or is that another we want everything for free discussion?
          DRM is the stuff that adds stupid limitations that affect only people that paid for the media and play by the rules.

Any attempt to remove the DRM is just as wrong as stealing it. You didn't pay for a DRM-less media, you paid for a media with shitty limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            what about android or mobile users?
            They are fucked I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
              I wonder if this impacts Chromebooks?
              From the Netflix features supported https://help.netflix.com/en/node/296
              -Up to 1080p on Google Chrome
              -Up to 480p on the Netflix app from the Google Play Store

I would say they are also not certified for widevine "max security" level (which allows 4k content in Netflix) so they won't see Disney either.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                It's a little more than 1%, since as the article says, it affects many Android and Chromebook devices too. He doesn't give details, but I would assume the big names like Samsung work fine, but anyone using smaller brands might have issues.
                As with any thing Android, it's a crapshoot and you can't assume all devices of a certain brand support it.

Comment

For netflix they already need the device id's to support HDR. So international stock firmware Samsung Galaxy series usually don't get HDR support, but only the Qualcomm variants get them because they have never seen the exynos phones. (The international version due get them after enough bug reports though).
                  But currently I stick with netflix, amazon prime, and hidive (in favor of crunchyroll) due to proven compatibility and *willingness* of the company to make it work.
                  As for Disney I would never trust them to willingly help people legally watch their content, because Disney has always been a big pusher for laws to get more grip on the enduser.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

What other easily accessed public trackers should casual pirates be using nowadays? 99% of pirates don't care about community, they care about magnet links to the stuff they want.
                    rarbg.to would be the biggest one. That’s where scene groups are actually releasing their releases.

Comment

It's fairly clear most of the commenters here haven't read TFA. He says the problem affects *linux*, which includes Chromebooks and Android phones and tablets. Is it really any surprise that Apple-Disney software only works well on Apple and Microsoft devices? Just picture how Disney tests Linux-based devices to see if they're safe.

Comment

Working...
                      X