Disney+ Currently Won't Work On Linux Systems Due To Tightened DRM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

I think you could make a moral argument, that based on the concept of copyright as enshrined in the US Constitution and the US concept of copyright and patents, the real thief is Disney.

[...]
    Not to mention that:
    1. Copyright as we know it began with the Statute of Anne, a "censorship in exchange for monopoly" pact between the British Crown and the printing guilds.
    2. Modern copyright began when the U.S. founding fathers decided to try to repurpose the concept of copyright for the public good by using it to incentivize the enrichment of the public domain.
    3. Modern copyright was originally opt-in.
    4. Modern copyright was originally intended to incentivize the progress of "science and the useful arts" (ie. mapmaking) and originally only applied to books and charts. (My understanding is that copyright on music and movies was established through the argument that, if the sheet music and scripts were copyrightable, then the phonorecordings and films should be too.)
    5. The U.S. became a cultural juggernaut by ignoring British copyrights.
    6. Hollywood is in California because it was beyond the reach of Edison's patent lawyers.
    7. Copyright is a temporal anomaly. Professor Larry Lessig has done some great talks on how, before phonorecording and film, all music and performance art was like the world of fanfiction.
    8. Recipes and jokes aren't copyrightable, and chefs and comedians still make money, so why should other kinds of artists get special treatment?
    9. Despite the RIAA and MPAA's best efforts, we still draw an instinctive distinction between scarce goods (eg. you have to be taught to share a ball) and non-scarce culture (eg. if someone walked up to you and demanded a license fee after you retold a joke to your friend, you'd look at them like they escaped from a mental hospital).
    Rick Falkvinge, founder of the Swedish Pirate Party, also has some excellent arguments on the topic, such as the one that you don't pay your plumber ongoing fees for the water you use, so why should the entrepreneurs we call authors and artists get to freeload indefinitely off a finite amount of labour?
    Last edited by ssokolow; 21 October 2019, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
      Why not try and see if the Disney+ Android app might work on Linux via Anbox + GApps + Libhoudini ARM layer and on my Chromebook with ARC++ runtime. Furthermore, I'd be curious to see if the the video stream might work via the Chrome/Firefox browsers in VMware or VirtualBox on a Linux host and Windows 10 guest?
      Or Disney can decide they actually want me as a customer. If not, I can live without them. Their stuff mostly sucks these days anyway.

Comment

I'm feeling very very sad that I won't be able to watch the shows and movies that I wasn't going to watch anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
          Hwdrm requires certification and a signed stack, elsewise how would winevine know that there was no middle software pretending to be hwdrm.
          Even with a fully signed stack does not mean OS is not running in a VM or equal so with man in middle software. There comes a point do you trust the hardware encryption id and that communication to the hardware is encrypted secure enough or not.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Since Disney+ uses strong DRM to protect themselves against stealing, surely it's not stealing. That's the whole point of their DRM, isn't it? They're protected, so downloading all their stuff through p2p is fine
            Since a bank is using strong walls and guards to protect themselves against stealing, surely it's not stealing. That's the whole point of strong walls and guards isn't it? They are protected, so going in guns blazing and blowing up the vault to sack its riches is fine

Seriously, you are literally Hitler, go home.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
              I think you could make a moral argument, that based on the concept of copyright as enshrined in the US Constitution and the US concept of copyright and patents, the real thief is Disney.

Hear me out.
              No, that's bs on a fundamental level. This is fiction. Mass-produced, lowest-common-denominator fiction too.

They invented that fiction (or bought it) and they can do whatever they want with it, even stupid shit. (to some extent it's actually better they self-limit, as they let more space to other, weaker parties)

Yes they do all they can to bend the law to keep perpetual property of their IP and it's annoying, but it's not a patent. It's not holding back technological advancement or medical science in any way.

At end of the day, it's still fiction. At the end of the day, it's irrelevant that some fictional concepts are forever bound to some company, and may die with it.

You don't need Mickey Mouse or Spiderman to make a good book or movie or comic, nor you need Star Wars "story setting".

If it's really required it's also trivial to "legally steal" fictional characters by cloning their general appearance and personality and just giving them a different name. Marvell vs DC Comics have a looooong history of doing this exact thing where many primary characters are poached over with a different name, and that's the end of it. You can't sue because it's not the same exact thing, but it is close enough to be identical for story purposes. Boom, done.

So I say whatever. Let them go full retard mode with their shit, go enjoy something else, not mass-produced, not engineered for maximum profit margin on the widest possible audience.

I also have no trouble with people that pirate Disney works
              I do, because that's sheeple cubed. That's people uncapable of letting go the tit of their corporate overlords and actually think for themselves for a brief moment, and quite frankly also have bad taste.

Comment

I don't plan on ever being a Disney subscriber as I think they've got too big and wield too much power. But once again DRM hits those most likely to pay for the content, while pirates will always find a way around these systems. Its a pointless exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Not to mention that:
                  1. Copyright as we know it began with the Statute of Anne, a "censorship in exchange for monopoly" pact between the British Crown and the printing guilds.
                  2. Modern copyright began when the U.S. founding fathers decided to try to repurpose the concept of copyright for the public good by using it to incentivize the enrichment of the public domain.
                  3. Modern copyright was originally opt-in.
                  4. Modern copyright was originally intended to incentivize the progress of "science and the useful arts" (ie. mapmaking) and originally only applied to books and charts. (My understanding is that copyright on music and movies was established through the argument that, if the sheet music and scripts were copyrightable, then the phonorecordings and films should be too.)
                  5. The U.S. became a cultural juggernaut by ignoring British copyrights.
                  6. Hollywood is in California because it was beyond the reach of Edison's patent lawyers.
                  7. Copyright is a temporal anomaly. Professor Larry Lessig has done some great talks on how, before phonorecording and film, all music and performance art was like the world of fanfiction.
                  8. Recipes and jokes aren't copyrightable, and chefs and comedians still make money, so why should other kinds of artists get special treatment?
                  9. Despite the RIAA and MPAA's best efforts, we still draw an instinctive distinction between scarce goods (eg. you have to be taught to share a ball) and non-scarce culture (eg. if someone walked up to you and demanded a license fee after you retold a joke to your friend, you'd look at them like they escaped from a mental hospital).
                  Rick Falkvinge, founder of the Swedish Pirate Party, also has some excellent arguments on the topic, such as the one that you don't pay your plumber ongoing fees for the water you use, so why should the entrepreneurs we call authors and artists get to freeload indefinitely off a finite amount of labour?
                  Some counterpoints:
                  • the concept of copyright is fine, as is also the fact that it isn't opt-in. This is a safeguard, the copyright holder can change the license any time he wants.
                  • the main issue of copyright is that it lasts a very long time for no real reason, if it was like with patents it would be much less bad.
                  • The main reason that copyright wasn't a thing before recording was that it was basically impossible to enforce due to technical limitations (communications being the main one)
                  • recipes and jokes may not be copyrightable, but they are not really the core. There is much more than the mere recipe in what a chef does, just as having a book of great jokes does not make you a good comedian.
                  • instinctive distinctions don't mean much. Instincts developed well before civilization and complex interactions were a thing, and it's too slow to evolve in the few thousand years of human history. So yeah, humans grasp better the value of physical objects. Does not make non-physical ideas lack any value.
                  • the plumber example is not completely wrong, although the "ongoing fees for the water" makes no sense as the plumber does not own that water anyway.
                    I guess the answer is that they get away with that because we let them. If someone could muster some force to go and break the Media Mafia everyone would benefit. Because really, most small and midrange artists aren't really benefitting much here, and are also much closer to their userbase and they know oppressive DRM and silly licensing is not cool. It's the big corporations with the big celebs racking the big cash.
                  Last edited by starshipeleven; 21 October 2019, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                    As well, I'm curious how hacking the application would allow it to work.
                    I'm not sure I understand what it does, but it seems it is working with keys https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...vices-t3307241
                    Latest script thing is here https://github.com/longseespace/netflix_patch

For Android, a crucial library for this process is called liboemcrypto (as removing it causes the system to degrade from L1 max security to L3 minimum security) and it is part of Android's media DRM framework https://developer.android.com/refere.../MediaDrm.html

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Since a bank is using strong walls and guards to protect themselves against stealing, surely it's not stealing. That's the whole point of strong walls and guards isn't it? They are protected, so going in guns blazing and blowing up the vault to sack its riches is fine

Seriously, you are literally Hitler, go home.
                      Look, DRM prevents piracy. So obviously I was joking. I couldn't pirate their stuff even if I wanted to. It's protected. Nothing to see here, move along.

Comment

Working...
                      X