Microsoft Teams Is Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dovla091 View Post

Because of you "the opensource talibans", linux support is progressing slowly. "We need open source...." No we don't, we need a fully functional stable PC/Server with full hardware support, and more companies which would back linux community, so who cares if HP, Intel, Nvidia or whoever write those drivers which code is not released for public... If they are following ethics, I don't care, and I am quite sure that most of people does not either. If you need pure opensource, then move on to BSD, and be as limited as fck! That so called "I wanna see the code" shit is becoming boring. No one reads the code except developers who develop modules and other features. And I can guarantee that 99,9% of Phoronix users does not read each and every code (if any)... So please spare us that bull shit. Microsoft is slowly moving towards Linux and that is good, but until they release something for mass productivity such as Office suit, I am not that impressed.
    You're a troll who doesn't understand anything about the open-source's business world

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post

You're a troll who doesn't understand anything about the open-source's business world
      Sure, I am a troll and you are a freaking snowflake who constantly whine if something is written to improve Linux experience but is not available for public preview. Btw, I remember one thing which went into extreme and that is switching from init-v to systemd. Even though both things are written by either community or company such as RHEL to improve Linux experience, people started to complain.... There is always one "g2dg" who will constantly whine no matter what, how it is bad and we should stick with init instead... Same thing with 3rd party software. If it works who care if it is an open source or not. If company won't be leaking your data to anyone, I don't care as long as it is stable and it works. That's a part when you grow up and start thinking about functionality instead of ideology...
      Last edited by dovla091; 10 September 2019, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        We have that already and it's called Windows.

Wtf is "ethics" anyway.

Most people wanting opensource drivers want it because it allows maintenance to the drivers from third parties (like say all the work done by Collabora and other such paid third party paid development), so they don't break in less then a year when the Linux kernel changes.
        You don't need to be a douche... Yes English is not my native language and yes I make mistake while writing a comment, but you got a point. I am confident that you are at least that smart...

Comment

Because of you "the opensource talibans", linux support is progressing slowly. "We need open source...." No we don't, we need a fully functional stable PC/Server with full hardware support, and more companies which would back linux community, so who cares if HP, Intel, Nvidia or whoever write those drivers which code is not released for public... If they are following ethics, I don't care, and I am quite sure that most of people does not either. If you need pure opensource, then move on to BSD, and be as limited as fck! That so called "I wanna see the code" shit is becoming boring. No one reads the code except developers who develop modules and other features. And I can guarantee that 99,9% of Phoronix users does not read each and every code (if any)... So please spare us that bull shit. Microsoft is slowly moving towards Linux and that is good, but until they release something for mass productivity such as Office suit, I am not that impressed.
          Dumbest post on Phoronix right now.

Free vs. proprietary is about who controls the software. Like Adobe making it illegal to use any version of their suite not under their control (i.e. not connected to their servers so they can watch you). Only a fucking mongoloid would defend that for the sake of "usability."

Comment

You don't need to be a douche... Yes English is not my native language and yes I make mistake while writing a comment, but you got a point. I am confident that you are at least that smart...
            Uhm... no you did not make grammar mistakes, that's a correct word and I think you used correctly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics

I was actually commenting that "ethical" or "moral" programming is a weird concept for me.
            Last edited by starshipeleven; 10 September 2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
              Dumbest post on Phoronix right now.
              There is so much worse... thankfully many of those are now inactive or shadowbanned.

Comment

tell us again, how many new devices are BSD supporting? or perhaps how many programs are made for that distro...?
                Pretty much as many as Linux when it comes to servers.
                When it comes to wifi NICs, I would suggest the BSDs are doing a little bit better.
                Either way, FreeBSD supports many more devices than the well known consumer OS; macOS.

Also if you factor in that PS3 and PS4 use the FreeBSD kernel, you can probably imagine that lots of programs are made for it.

(Btw, Distro is the wrong term because it is a unique kernel.)

Comment

Same thing with 3rd party software. If it works who care if it is an open source or not. If company won't be leaking your data to anyone, I don't care as long as it is stable and it works. That's a part when you grow up and start thinking about functionality instead of ideology...
                  How can you be sure that a closed source program isn't leaking (intentionally or unintentionally through bugs) info to third parties? Opensource is much easier to audit and test.
                  How can you or a third party you hire fix a problem in a closed source program if it is not "stable" for you (which is not uncommon)? Opensource can be fixed faster.

Exceptions to that can be accepted to an extent, especially for applications, where it would be hard to monetize otherwise (let's ignore piracy for a moment), and it won't have a massive community so it won't benefit much from being opensource anyway.

The only thing that truly needs to be opensource is the OS (kernel and base stuff), if the rest (drivers and applications) is compartmentalized and run with as little privilege as possible it's good enough for many even if closed source.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    When it comes to wifi NICs, I would suggest the BSDs are doing a little bit better.
                    Bullshit, support for many Wifi ac chipsets that Linux supported for years is still missing in BSDs.

Either way, FreeBSD supports many more devices than the well known consumer OS; macOS.
                    Meh, different niches. People needing the average MacOS device (a laptop) won't be looking at using FreeBSD.

Also if you factor in that PS3 and PS4
                    That's beyond stretching it. These consoles are using a BSD-based firmware with significant changes.

Comment

tell us again, how many new devices are BSD supporting? or perhaps how many programs are made for that distro...?
                      It's ok not to know. It pretty much supports everything Linux does. I have used Nvidia and AMD cards I bought last year with Plasma 5 or Gnome 3 for my workstations. My Wifi works, my bluetooth devices work. Take a look at the distrowatch page. All modern software. https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=freebsd And you can look here on phoronix for the benchmarks to see it's very competitive or leading in performance vs Linux and Windows.

40 year old kernel doesn't mean any code is 40 years old, tho their could be. lol. Does code get slower with age? Or is software a solvable problem and once it's correct the code works forever? Food for thought.
                      Last edited by k1e0x; 10 September 2019, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X