Microsoft Teams Is Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
    Well, it's Electron/CEF app so no surprise it runs everywhere. One might just as well use Outlook365 web interface, it's 100% the same.
    video calls currently do no work on Linux

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
      Well, I had to repair enough systems that got brought down thanks to systemd. If a simple typo or something you forget in an init file can make systemd bring your system down, or one of the daemons it should keep alive breaks down and then systemd starts killing your system with no throttling or whatsoever, then how good is it. It takes a long time before systemd comes close as being as stable as sysv-init. And don't give me the windows users mentality "works for me just reinstall your system". Even the init replacement in OS-X works more stable.
      There are certain features about systemd that are ok. At least the ntp replacement works with IPv6-link-local, so that's a big+.
      But anyway, nice trolling, I took the bait.
      Really its trolling from you. Did I once say that systemd worked right. No I did not.

Sysvinit is not stable. I have admins attempt to stop services kill the wrong server and it be something important. I have had to repair my fair share of sysvinit caused screw ups as well.

I really want someone to make a init system default in a distribution that is not a "works for me solution". Openrc has a roadmap to make some more decent than system so does shepherd.

Ardje
      Lets say we go with what is possible by dropping portable. compatible, small, fast and secure and we weed out the init systems Devuan to give what that promise. The result would be 2 competitor init systems. Openrc and Shepherd. After you have openrc working then you can revisit s6 and runit. sinit core pid1 is not smaller than the openrc one so it really make no sense and Deamontools-encore really needs openrc to work right.
      This in the past post you most likely missed something Devuan does have the option to include systemd. I if fact dropped systemd off cliff here and here you are trolling about it. I am serousally talking about getting as a init that properly works not "works for me crap" that systemd or sysvinit is.

Comment

How about Skype for Business? That thing barely works on anything, and there are cases where people like me need to use it. Even on macOS, it causes trouble after it gets updated, same goes for iOS. The most reliable way to run that piece of crap for me is a Windows virtual machine with Skype running as an Internet Explorer plugin.

At some point (due to problems with audio setup, because pulseaudio is pulseaudio) I gave up and just decided to phone into calls I was supposed to attend, simply because that's the only semi-reliable way to participate. It costed me quite a bit of money, simply because M$ is inept.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
          Really its trolling from you. Did I once say that systemd worked right. No I did not.
          Sorry for the lame stereotyping I did while accusing you of a systemd fanboy.
          You are correct that in the most optimal solution still has to be found, and I agree that systemd is far from optimal. And as much as I hate systemd, there are people/free time developers that develop for certain distro's only, and since I do not have the time to meddle with dependencies, I suck it up and try to make the best and be out of the way of systemd as much as possible. I wish I could drop systemd off a cliff like you did :-(.

Anyway, thanks for correcting me.

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
            If it isn't free (as in freedom), it doesn't worthy
            Because of you "the opensource talibans", linux support is progressing slowly. "We need open source...." No we don't, we need a fully functional stable PC/Server with full hardware support, and more companies which would back linux community, so who cares if HP, Intel, Nvidia or whoever write those drivers which code is not released for public... If they are following ethics, I don't care, and I am quite sure that most of people does not either. If you need pure opensource, then move on to BSD, and be as limited as fck! That so called "I wanna see the code" shit is becoming boring. No one reads the code except developers who develop modules and other features. And I can guarantee that 99,9% of Phoronix users does not read each and every code (if any)... So please spare us that bull shit. Microsoft is slowly moving towards Linux and that is good, but until they release something for mass productivity such as Office suit, I am not that impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Why? FreeBSD's kernel is 40 years old and it still out preforms most OS's.
              tell us again, how many new devices are BSD supporting? or perhaps how many programs are made for that distro...?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                finally microsoft begins to develop its own linux Os so many linux distributions will end because they are pure garbage.
                This article is not about a Microsoft Linux distro, but about providing a cilent application for Microsoft Teams, which is a teamworking suite (message and filesharing).

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                  How about Skype for Business? That thing barely works on anything, and there are cases where people like me need to use it. Even on macOS, it causes trouble after it gets updated, same goes for iOS. The most reliable way to run that piece of crap for me is a Windows virtual machine with Skype running as an Internet Explorer plugin.

At some point (due to problems with audio setup, because pulseaudio is pulseaudio) I gave up and just decided to phone into calls I was supposed to attend, simply because that's the only semi-reliable way to participate. It costed me quite a bit of money, simply because M$ is inept.
                  You aren't using Windows, that's your main problem

Comment

Originally posted by dovla091 View Post
                    Because of you "the opensource talibans", linux support is progressing slowly. "We need open source...." No we don't, we need a fully functional stable PC/Server with full hardware support,
                    We have that already and it's called Windows.

HP, Intel, Nvidia or whoever write those drivers which code is not released for public... If they are following ethics, I don't care,
                    Wtf is "ethics" anyway.

Most people wanting opensource drivers want it because it allows maintenance to the drivers from third parties (like say all the work done by Collabora and other such paid third party paid development), so they don't break in less then a year when the Linux kernel changes.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

SFB isn't really Skype. It's Lync with a gateway to the real Skype.

Comment

Working...
                      X