X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    "some AMD stuff"?
    "lately"?

Isn't this how Linux normally works for everything?

The point is that the support is there. People using LTS distros have to use the proprietary driver or hope that there are third party repos.

Staying on bleeding edge != hardware support.
    Not always. Intel is usually pretty good about getting drivers into the kernel before their products launch.

Installing the latest point release != bleeding edge

Don't mean to be a smart ass, but the LTS distros suffer the same problems until AMDGPU-Pro is updated. IIRC, it has taken a few weeks after some product launches for that to be updated as well...and even then that doesn't fix everything since sometimes they'll need a newer Mesa or Kernel or Firmware than what LTS ships with for full hardware support. AMDGPU-Pro is not a catch-all backup in case the open stuff doesn't work.

AMD repositories with their latest stable open source code for the distributions that support AMDGPU-Pro would help a lot. That would be much better than having to suggest random 3rd party repos combined with kernel compiles.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I think you mean 590.

Also, if your distro of choice is let you down on the drivers you need, maybe is time to move on to something else.
      No, I mean 580. I bought it in February.

Manjaro is usually on the ball in regards to keeping things up-to-date. For me, AMDVLK has been the only thing I do myself that they provide because I want the updates faster.

There was also a time for around a few weeks to a month around the end of March to the end of April where AMDVLK wouldn't compile unless very specific git branches were used and a few new ones were added. AMD has since updated their repos and the build process and it's able to be easily compiled again.

AMD breaking it upsteam is a valid reason for Manjaro not providing it downstream.

Comment

On the CPU news, that Ryzen 7 3700x looks like a keeper on the lineup. 8 cores, 4,4 Ghz and 65w TPD is a winner in my book.

Also, anybody noted the X570 motherboards they will launch? Looks like there will be serious room for overclock on the top end CPUs. Look at that 16 pin CPU power socket and humongous VRM design on some of the new mobos:

I don't think this is all for the unannounced 16 core part.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          *the average computer user is actually retarded
          Yeah, you're probably right about that.

Comment

Honestly the AMD driver situation is really quite good. Things just work.
            The worst part is that it tends to take 2 months for new cards to get full support.

I feel the Windows mentality of going to find and install drivers is what holds them back.

Comment

Any info on how RDNA relates to Navi? Is the ISA the same, similar or completely different?

this looks like a great release upon AMDs part. It is really nice to have an alternative to Intel that doesn’t completely suck!

Comment

Originally posted by tenzero View Post
                I would be very interested in how Ryzen 9 compares to 1920x and 2920x Threadripper cpus.
                That will critically depend on the required memory bandwidth of the workload. If it is not memory limited, the Ryzen 9 will be much faster (better IPC + clocks). However, Threadrippers feature four instead of two memory channels. If your workload makes use of them, it might not scale well on Ryzen 9.

Comment

is also a Ryzen 5 3600X at $249 and Ryzen 7 2700X at $329

I'm guessing that's a typo? (2700X -> 3700X)

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Not always. Intel is usually pretty good about getting drivers into the kernel before their products launch.
                    Also AMD for the latest cards, afaik. What is lagging behind at the moment is the userspace part.

Don't mean to be a smart ass, but the LTS distros suffer the same problems until AMDGPU-Pro is updated.
                    Same for NVIDIA's driver. They don't insta-support their cards either.

Must have something to do with the expectation that people running the blob aren't going to be anywhere near the majority of their users.

AMD repositories with their latest stable open source code for the distributions that support AMDGPU-Pro would help a lot. That would be much better than having to suggest random 3rd party repos combined with kernel compiles.
                    Adding stable repositories only increases the workload. They need to throw more men at the problem, that's the only choice.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                      Any info on how RDNA relates to Navi? Is the ISA the same, similar or completely different?
                      If I understand correctly:
                      RDNA is the name of the architecture (in the same way as GCN)
                      Navi is the codename of the chips (in the same way as Polaris).

Comment

Working...
                      X