No announcement yet.

AMD Announces Ryzen 3000 Series, Radeon RX 5700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Radeon RX 5700 series meanwhile is the first of their new "RDNA" gaming architecture and up to 1.25x higher performance-per-clock and 1.5x performance-per-Watt over GCN
    No drivers again?

Comment

Originally posted by commiethebeastie View Post

No drivers again?
      what?

Comment

I also hope, our AMD driver heros get MESA/AMDGPU up to speed.
        But first I'm looking forward to the GPU details for E3 on June 10 :-)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          what?
          Some of the AMD stuff lately has needed software from various git master branches for proper Linux support on day one; Mesa, the AMD kernel, etc. I assume that's what that comment is referring to.

Hell, it's day 150 with my 580 and I'm still installing AMDVLK from github since it's either that or wait for Manjaro or Arch to eventually build it. At one point in time Manjaro was 3 or 4 AMDVLK releases behind so, yeah, I moved AMDVLK over into the category of "stuff I'll manage myself".

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post
            No mention of the 3xxx series APUs, how disappointing, then again recalling the Raven Ridge launch, a little polish might be in order.
            3000 -series APU is Picasso, 12nm Raven Ridge, which is already released as mobile variants.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              While those are great suggestions for people like you, me, and other Phoronix users*, they're bad suggestions for the average end user.

IMHO, AMD should really have their own repositories for the same distributions that AMDGPU-Pro targets.

*the dumbest Phoronix users are still smart enough to make the average computer user look retarded

Comment

Waiting for the big Navi code drop now then!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  Some of the AMD stuff lately has needed software from various git master branches for proper Linux support on day one;
                  "some AMD stuff"?
                  "lately"?

Isn't this how Linux normally works for everything?

The point is that the support is there. People using LTS distros have to use the proprietary driver or hope that there are third party repos.

Hell, it's day 150 with my 580 and I'm still installing AMDVLK from github
                  Staying on bleeding edge != hardware support.

Comment

*the dumbest Phoronix users are still smart enough to make the average computer user look retarded
                    *the average computer user is actually retarded

Comment

Some of the AMD stuff lately has needed software from various git master branches for proper Linux support on day one; Mesa, the AMD kernel, etc. I assume that's what that comment is referring to.

Hell, it's day 150 with my 580 and I'm still installing AMDVLK from github since it's either that or wait for Manjaro or Arch to eventually build it. At one point in time Manjaro was 3 or 4 AMDVLK releases behind so, yeah, I moved AMDVLK over into the category of "stuff I'll manage myself".
                      I think you mean 590.

Also, if your distro of choice is let you down on the drivers you need, maybe is time to move on to something else.

Comment

Working...
                      X