Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post
    Would it be legally possible to devise a software licence that would expressly prohibit any involvement of Outreachy?
    I think refusing to put up a CoC or making sure it doesn't fit into the woke agenda should be enough. Trying to prohibit certain people from contributing in the license would make your software non-free.

Leave a comment:

• andrei_me
    replied
    I think people will complain less of outreachy when they have more projects like the one highlighted by Michael, which are the ones with meaningful outcome .

Like: one thing is port a gnome calculator to meson vs fix a then-unknown bottleneck in gallium infrastructure and improve perf in +10% for all drivers who uses it

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    I'm sceptical of things like Outreachy, whilst I think their intentions are good and I respect wanting to do something positive, i think it's trying to solve an symptom and not the cause.

Anyone and everyone should be encouraged and helped to get into programming and working on projects. There's nothing about programming that restricts it to white heterosexual males, so I think it is worth raising an eyebrow as to why the demographic of people who take computer-related jobs are dominated by them (taking into account the demographic of the location). But you don't solve this by reverse discriminating, because that doesn't solve the issue. For example gender-separated toys might from an early age persuade more boys to get into engineering-type jobs than girls.

and contributions/employment should be considered on code, merit and behaviour (it's understandable not to want someone who's an arsehole helping your project) , not because of identity politics. We're already seeing the latter play out, where white straight men are not employed because of 'quotas' or a minority is employed because it 'looks good'. seriously, wtf.
    Finally, a truly sensible interpretation of Outreachy. I don't understand why this point of view is so difficult for people to have.

There is a real problem at hand, but Outreachy isn't the right way to go about it, and more importantly, what Outreachy thinks is the problem isn't really the problem (this also applies to the people who dismiss it). More specifically, a group of people being a minority in a field isn't a problem in and of itself, but there are problems that come as consequences/side effects to that.

However, as much as Outreachy isn't doing things the right way, many people on these forums aren't really any better:
    There are people here who disapprove of Outreachy simply because they believe the symptoms just simply don't exist, which is woefully (and ironically) ignorant.
    There are people here who disapprove of Outreachy because they believe the "surface symptoms" aren't a problem, while failing to understand that those symptoms aren't the thing to worry about. It's really no different than a doctor sending you home with generic antibiotics because you have common symptoms like a fever, when in fact you have malaria.
    There are people here who disapprove of Outreachy because they don't believe in discriminatory handicaps (which is fine), but not for the right reasons. Many of them express superiority over the minority groups Outreachy targets, which isn't ok.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 07 May 2019, 09:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Horrible idea. Licenses needs to stay away from politics. Else you have such ridiculous licenses such as containing statements that forbids terrorists to use the software, or saying the software may not be used for production of weapons of mass destruction. It's just silly.
    Thank goodness. I was worried about my nuclear arms program for a minute there.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Would it be legally possible to devise a software licence that would expressly prohibit any involvement of Outreachy?
    Horrible idea. Licenses needs to stay away from politics. Else you have such ridiculous licenses such as containing statements that forbids terrorists to use the software, or saying the software may not be used for production of weapons of mass destruction. It's just silly.

Leave a comment:

• moilami
    replied
    This got me turned on

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    I'm sceptical of things like Outreachy, whilst I think their intentions are good and I respect wanting to do something positive, i think it's trying to solve an symptom and not the cause.

Anyone and everyone should be encouraged and helped to get into programming and working on projects. There's nothing about programming that restricts it to white heterosexual males, so I think it is worth raising an eyebrow as to why the demographic of people who take computer-related jobs are dominated by them (taking into account the demographic of the location). But you don't solve this by reverse discriminating, because that doesn't solve the issue. For example gender-separated toys might from an early age persuade more boys to get into engineering-type jobs than girls.

and contributions/employment should be considered on code, merit and behaviour (it's understandable not to want someone who's an arsehole helping your project) , not because of identity politics. We're already seeing the latter play out, where white straight men are not employed because of 'quotas' or a minority is employed because it 'looks good'. seriously, wtf.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    I identify as the Queen of Great Britain. By the way tomorrow I'm moving into Buckingham Palace and don't anyone dare questioning my Identity (tm) and Lived Experience (tm)!

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

It's already done... you would first have to get outreachy to actually be involved in something more meaningful than creating bad colouring books to be able to block their involvement in the first place.
    That's one way to put it I guess. Of course far from me the idea of wanting Outreachy to get involved in anything at all, and certainly not colouring books - since my niece loves them, I don't want this demented cult anywhere near anything she touches.

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    It's already done... you would first have to get outreachy to actually be involved in something more meaningful than creating bad colouring books to be able to block their involvement in the first place.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X