X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Claptrap. In fact *none* of the girls I've worked with have been tomboys. Typical incel perspective ...
    Oh nice projection of your incelness onto others there buddy, craving women in tech because you don't know how to talk to people and want to get laid but are shut down every time because you're a creepy sex pest.

Meanwhile the actual science on the matter, says that due to tomboys being neurologically masculine, and thus interested in things are much more likely to be interested in STEM than non-tomboy women.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

English isn't my mother tongue either, but in my case my school was lazy at teaching us. Most of my English skills are self-taught.
    Your English skills are better than a lot of people who learn it as a first language.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    People like making excuses to explain things.
    English is not my native language, but we learnt it in school and was the best student in class at English.
    English isn't my mother tongue either, but in my case my school was lazy at teaching us. Most of my English skills are self-taught.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by nils_ View Post
    * Language: To work in OS projects you need to have very good / above average English communication skills.
    People like making excuses to explain things.
    English is not my native language, but we learnt it in school and was the best student in class at English.

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
    * Economics: People in poorer countries don't have the free time and access to the necessary hardware and infrastructure.
    I grew up as one of six children in a lower class family.
    I never had anythings like phones, game consoles, etc but my dad managed to a Intel 386 from work which I familiarized myself inimitably with.

Some people want to learn, some people find it boring and make excuses.

Leave a comment:

• Bsdisbetter
    replied

I don't think Iran or North Korea cares if the license on any piece of software they are interested in forbids the use for the purpose of developing weapons of mass destruction.
    Just as rapists are not likely to care about the "do not rape me" bracelets handed out by the police in Sweden.
    Maybe, but an exporter is prevented from exporting under penalty. That remains true. That's the license.

Leave a comment:

• nils_
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    Anyone and everyone should be encouraged and helped to get into programming and working on projects. There's nothing about programming that restricts it to white heterosexual males, so I think it is worth raising an eyebrow as to why the demographic of people who take computer-related jobs are dominated by them (taking into account the demographic of the location).
    I think there isn't really any good research into that, it is just assumed that the reason must be discrimination. I think separating people by the racial categories used in the US census is pretty stupid to begin with (2 billion people are classified as "Asian"...), which already makes research very difficult.

I think there are a few factors at work here:
    * Language: To work in OS projects you need to have very good / above average English communication skills
    * Economics: People in poorer countries don't have the free time and access to the necessary hardware and infrastructure
    * Interest: Some people just aren't interested in the work (there is a big difference between men and women here for example)
    * Culture: Some cultures don't do well in the open source development model since they don't deal with criticism the way people from Western cultures do.

I have no proof for that, but I haven't seen any credible evidence of widespread (intentional) discrimination. By and large people who participate in open source are probably more tolerant than average simply because you already have a very diverse set of people you have to get along with.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by Bsdisbetter View Post

That has been the case for decades - DOD licensing through legislation denying export to certain countries. Think Pgp.
    I don't think Iran or North Korea cares if the license on any piece of software they are interested in forbids the use for the purpose of developing weapons of mass destruction.
    Just as rapists are not likely to care about the "do not rape me" bracelets handed out by the police in Sweden.

Leave a comment:

• dkasak
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Please educate yourself already and watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y252b9aEXpY

tl;dr : males are interested in things, women are interested in people. When given freedom of choice the sexes follow their natural strengths... and this is okay. It's perfectly fine and even good that the job market self segregates based on ability and interest like that, It's not a problem. The women who do go into tech (as well as the rest of STEM) have a very strong tendency to be tomboys which means their neurology is masculine even though they're otherwise a normal female (which has to do with hormone balances in the womb when they're developing as a child).
    Claptrap. In fact *none* of the girls I've worked with have been tomboys. Typical incel perspective ...

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    I'm sceptical of things like Outreachy, whilst I think their intentions are good and I respect wanting to do something positive, i think it's trying to solve an symptom and not the cause.

Anyone and everyone should be encouraged and helped to get into programming and working on projects. There's nothing about programming that restricts it to white heterosexual males, so I think it is worth raising an eyebrow as to why the demographic of people who take computer-related jobs are dominated by them (taking into account the demographic of the location). But you don't solve this by reverse discriminating, because that doesn't solve the issue. For example gender-separated toys might from an early age persuade more boys to get into engineering-type jobs than girls.

and contributions/employment should be considered on code, merit and behaviour (it's understandable not to want someone who's an arsehole helping your project) , not because of identity politics. We're already seeing the latter play out, where white straight men are not employed because of 'quotas' or a minority is employed because it 'looks good'. seriously, wtf.
    Please educate yourself already and watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y252b9aEXpY

tl;dr : males are interested in things, women are interested in people. When given freedom of choice the sexes follow their natural strengths... and this is okay. It's perfectly fine and even good that the job market self segregates based on ability and interest like that, It's not a problem. The women who do go into tech (as well as the rest of STEM) have a very strong tendency to be tomboys which means their neurology is masculine even though they're otherwise a normal female (which has to do with hormone balances in the womb when they're developing as a child).

Leave a comment:

• Bsdisbetter
    replied

Horrible idea. Licenses needs to stay away from politics. Else you have such ridiculous licenses such as containing statements that forbids terrorists to use the software, or saying the software may not be used for production of weapons of mass destruction. It's just silly.
    That has been the case for decades - DOD licensing through legislation denying export to certain countries. Think Pgp.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X