X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uxmkt
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Its a flawed idea and they know it. Quick disposable VMs / containers are going to generate a new UUID and false count a new user.
    That isn't actually a problem: Deleted VMs/UUIDs do not generate any downloads anymore, and will be considered "dead" after a statistical grace period.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Western Hemisphere... as in "Here in North America, we allocated ourselves a larger slice of IPv4 addresses relative to our population before they ran out, so our ISPs are under less pressure to implement carrier-grade NAT and can generally still hand out one-per-account DHCP leases that let you keep the same IP for as long as you leave your DSL/Cable modem running without interruption.

(Which is important because, even if you have an ISP that offers IPv6 without having to get an HE.net tunnel set up, they likely sent you a model of modem-router combo that functions like garbage if you have it in routed mode like most customers and enable IPv6 support.)
    Damn 'Murricans hoarding IP addresses.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Define "western" as this isn't a thing in the EU afaik.
    Western Hemisphere... as in "Here in North America, we allocated ourselves a larger slice of IPv4 addresses relative to our population before they ran out, so our ISPs are under less pressure to implement carrier-grade NAT and can generally still hand out one-per-account DHCP leases that let you keep the same IP for as long as you leave your DSL/Cable modem running without interruption.

(Which is important because, even if you have an ISP that offers IPv6 without having to get an HE.net tunnel set up, they likely sent you a model of modem-router combo that functions like garbage if you have it in routed mode like most customers and enable IPv6 support.)
    Last edited by ssokolow; 08 January 2019, 07:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

So what ?
    If I don't want to be tracked, of course I don't want to be accurately tracked either.
    I I lend a book or a car that I bought to a friend, it's not the manufacturer business to know to whom or how many people I'm lending that thing.
    Just because it's a sofware product, it doesn't mean that me and my friend need to be tracked on every usage of that product.
    What's left to do, put tracking code in every source code available because we don't know who and how many compiles it ?

I see that a lot of companies made good software without any tracking, but now no, you can't even write 'Hello world!' without some user tracking.
    Every bullshit company is jumping on the tracking and datacollection bandwagon.
    I'm waiting now on the GDPR v2 to cut this crap.
    Except you're not being tracked and you know that, you're just looking for a reason to complain.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    Most Western ISP's still give you public IP addresses that most likely won't change if your machine isn't shut down for long periods of time unless you're talking of mobile connectivity.
    Define "western" as this isn't a thing in the EU afaik.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    How is IP address personal? What ISP aren't aggregating and NATting many users behind the same dynamic IP in 2019?
    Most Western ISP's still give you public IP addresses that most likely won't change if your machine isn't shut down for long periods of time unless you're talking of mobile connectivity.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Will be fun watching Fedora fizzle out (Like Ubuntu) whilst blaming "user-interest" rather than their own arrogance.
    Fedora is just the Beta of RHEL, which is the actual moneymaker. It's not going anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    WTF? Spyware coming from Fedora now ?
    Who said I want to have a unique identifier assigned to my computer that follows and track me anywhere?
    It does not track you, only identifies the system so it can be counted.

Tracking requires to send over much more than a unique identifier when looking for updates.

Why don't they put an online download counter ?
    Download counters are not an indication of number of installed systems, they can also be faked by simply having someone run a script that downloads the ISO files on a loop.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    So rather than using IP addresses which is personal, they want to use a unique UUID that isn't personal and you can change/remove as needed?

Seems good to me.
    How is IP address personal? What ISP aren't aggregating and NATting many users behind the same dynamic IP in 2019?

Leave a comment:

• masbran
    replied
    Originally posted by xiando View Post
    It is not at all shocking that this comes shortly after IBM acquired RedHat. IBM has a long history of crimes against humanity. They worked very closely with Hitler and the Third Reich under a contract with IBM New York and the Third Reich. IBM had no small role, a custom punch-card system was sold and every Nazi slave labour camp had on-site staff from IBM who worked and maintained these machines. This is the company who's now in control of RedHat and Fedora.
    It has absolutely nothing to do with IBM acquiring Red Hat. Even if Red Hat is *the* sponsor of Fedora, the project is independent: RH don't give orders to Fedora! Moreover, we started to discuss this topic ways before the IBM/RH announcement was relased (last discussed it at Flock 2018, in august).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X