Adobe Customer Care: There Hasn't Been Enough Demand For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Not in their graphic design departments.
    Chicken and egg problem. How can they use it when it's not available, duh.

Comment

Adobe is mostly right regarding this with photoshop and lightroom the number of photographers on Linux is quite low although that is in part because those 2 programs are not available under Linux. On the other hand looking at premiere Adobe is quite wrong in not sporting Linux since there the main competitors do so both Davinci Resolve (by Black Maigc, non-subscription somewhat reasonable price for amateur/small business use) and Nuke (by the Foundry, expensive but focused more on big budget Hollywood stuff) are available for Linux (RedHat/CentOS). On top of that you have Blender and/or Maya which are both also available for Linux. All in all a large part of the VFX industries is actually on Linux with maybe the exception of the people doing Mate since that does require photoshop although I would bet that a lot of studios are looking into something like Krita for that as well (due to having openColorIO support)

So in conclusion for a subset of their programs (mostly Premier but maybe also Photoshop) supporting Linux might actually be a good idea and for the distro the commercial software above all seem to gravitate towards RedHat/CentOS so that would be the logical choice.

Comment

I really don't get it! Why this colective insisting that Adobe is important? Both inn the workplace and for Linux.

​​​​​​The PDF editor is nice, and in several places I have worked there usually is one co-worker with a license. But it's newer been a reqired or much used tool. When it comes to Photoshop, I have encouterd exactly one user in the workplace.

When it comes to home users, my experience is that they used to use whatewer was bundeled with their digital camera. Nowdays, they do the cropping, red-eye removal and casual effekt usage on their phones.

Why should we care so much about Aabout

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Not enough demand? That's weird considering some big studios use Linux.
          For every `big studio' that uses Linux, 100 use Macs.

Comment

Originally posted by drohm View Post

Chicken and egg problem. How can they use it when it's not available, duh.
            They use Windows or OS X/macOS. When you design your platform for the server first, you tend to get interest in that area. It's the reason Linux is so well positioned for the Server markets.

It's also the reason it is terrible for a standard workstation/desktop markets. The best tools for creative artists will never be on Linux. Even when something like DaVinci is available on Linux, it's nothing compared to the tight integration on OS X.

Blender goes the ``we use our own desktop paradigm'' and is just now moving towards a Mac OS style top menu layout. It's not moving to a GNOME or a KDE layout as they know it would be suicide. Windows copied Mac OS from the get go.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
              <thinly veiled macfag drivel about creative artists>
              See the post about Corel a few pages back.

The issue is not technical, it's political.

Comment

Example(s) of what will straighten out Adobe quicker than anything else...

Professional video editing, color correction, visual effects and audio post production all in a single application. Free and paid versions for Mac, Windows and Linux.

and

“The Definitive Guide to DaVinci Resolve 15: Editing, Color, Audio, and Effects (The Blackmagic Design Learning Series"--Amazon, et. al.

Comment

They use Windows or OS X/macOS. When you design your platform for the server first, you tend to get interest in that area. It's the reason Linux is so well positioned for the Server markets.

It's also the reason it is terrible for a standard workstation/desktop markets. The best tools for creative artists will never be on Linux. Even when something like DaVinci is available on Linux, it's nothing compared to the tight integration on OS X.

Blender goes the ``we use our own desktop paradigm'' and is just now moving towards a Mac OS style top menu layout. It's not moving to a GNOME or a KDE layout as they know it would be suicide. Windows copied Mac OS from the get go.
                  You pretty much proved my point. "The best tools are on windows and/or mac, etc..." Well, no sh_t, obviously they are, because they don't exist on linux. If they did, then you could see and guage the adoption rates over a period of time and come to that conclusion. But right now, you can't because they don't exist.

Comment

It's also the reason it is terrible for a standard workstation/desktop markets. The best tools for creative artists will never be on Linux. Even when something like DaVinci is available on Linux, it's nothing compared to the tight integration on OS X..
                    Best tools for creative artists never be on Linux is wrong for some fields. 3d animation the two top are blender and maya both on Linux. We are seeing more of this.

Tools needing render farms generally are better on Linux.

Comment

Adobe is 60% of the migrating to linux support posts on reddit, where we have to tell them they'll be stuck on windows forever. I don't know what aggregate user base that is, but when you kill all the animals in the womb, you're never going to know what could have been.

Personally, I've been hoping Adobe goes bankrupt so I don't have to keep answering their dead end tech support questions.

Comment

Working...
                      X