No announcement yet.

Dropping Profanity In Kernel Code Comments: Linux Gets "Hugs"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they have literally replaced f**k with hug, then that will change the meaning of many of the comments. This could in-turn lead to bugs when someone is next working on that code.

F**king morons.

Comment

This is utterly ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf
        The guy sending in the patches actually didn't read the full text of the CoC:

Code:
        | Contributions submitted for the kernel should use appropriate language.

| Content that already exists predating the Code of Conduct will not be

| addressed now as a violation.
        You are twisting the actual meaning of the CoC. The CoC is in place to protect the people working on the kernel. This was a patch for removing profanity in the code, which does no harm to anyone and in no way violates the CoC. It's so funny to read through these comments with all the immature little manchilds being offended over this. Seriously, you all deserve to be offended. I hope it hurts as bad as it looks judging from the comments. This patch is the tiniest, most innocent thing ever, and this comment section blows it completely out of proportion. Try to think about that for a second, and try to figure out who is the more sensitive snowflake. The person making the patch, or the ones complaining about it? Spoiler alert: The latter.
        Last edited by Brisse; 01 December 2018, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

You are twisting the actual meaning of the CoC. The CoC is in place to protect the people working on the kernel. This was a patch for removing profanity in the code, which does no harm to anyone and in no way violates the CoC. It's so funny to read through these comments with all the immature little manchilds being offended over this. Seriously, you all deserve to be offended. I hope it hurts as bad as it looks judging from the comments. This patch is the tiniest, most innocent thing ever, and this comment section blows it completely out of proportion. Try to think about that for a second, and try to figure out who is the more sensitive snowflake. The person making the patch, or the ones complaining about it? Spoiler alert: The latter.
          You completely miss the equality, if you think that speaking lordish way makes you even a tiny bit better person than you are. Or that swearing makes someone a tiny bit worse than one who is not swearing. You are not a bit better than a person next to you just because he is swearing and you are not. You are very naive, blind, and immature, if you think you are better. Maybe even narcissist. And sorry, no offence, just facts.

Comment

The CoC is in place to protect the people working on the kernel.
            So you wanna protected people from people - why? Kernel development was doing fine even without CoC for about quarter of century

This was a patch for removing profanity in the code, which does no harm to anyone and in no way violates the CoC.
            Fuck the CoC

It's so funny to read through these comments with all the immature little manchilds being offended over this.
            And then you are starting Who in the hell are 'immature little manchilds'

Seriously, you all deserve to be offended.
            I hope it hurts as bad as it looks judging from the comments.
            Fuck off

This patch is the tiniest, most innocent thing ever, and this comment section blows it completely out of proportion.
            It is quite opposite of that, it is sneaking garbage

I don't support hugs, so fuck the hugs
            Last edited by dungeon; 01 December 2018, 09:45 AM.

Comment

They should go hug themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post

You completely miss the equality, if you think that speaking lordish way makes you even a tiny bit better person than you are. Or that swearing makes someone a tiny bit worse than one who is not swearing. You are not a bit better than a person next to you just because he is swearing and you are not. You are very naive, blind, and immature, if you think you are better. Maybe even narcissist. And sorry, no offence, just facts.
                I'm not offended because I know for a fact that I am the better person. It's not "naive, blind and immature". It's simply being an adult human being and knowing when to take a stand against oppression (which in itself is a rightful use of oppression). There is no reason to treat bigots, fascists, nazis, racists, homophobes etc. as equals because they won't return the favour anyway and so they have forfeited that right. I will however treat decent human beings as equals, but not everyone can be included in that definition, such as previously mentioned oppressive/hateful groups. If going by your logic, we should all just pardon Anders Behring Breivik and release him from life in prison right now because he is an equal, right? See how flawed your logic is? By the way, I have nothing against swearing in general, but it doesn't belong in a professional working environment, especially an open one. It's bad publicity and thus bad for business.
                Last edited by Brisse; 01 December 2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post
                  This is utterly ridiculous.
                  This whole Phoronix thread? Yes, I agree. First it was the code name for Linux 4.20 "People's Front" (a reference to the Monty Python film "Life of Brian") that got everyone's knickers in a twist. Now it's this RFC (Request for comment) patch, that was not really serious but an attempt to start a discussion about the CoC and how it should be interpreted, that made everyone go berserk. It's interesting, because the same people that use the term "SjW" about other people and call them "snowflakes" and how they are so sensitive, are themselves extremely sensitive and jump to conclusions without applying critical thinking. If they would have taken just 1 minute to actually go to the source and read the mail thread on the kernel mailing list they would have realised that:

1. The patch will not be accepted
                  2 . It really was more of a way to start a discussion than an actual patch.

But at least Michael got his clicks....

Comment

Don't bother to analyze these lines
                    In this code I say fuck 93 times

--Violent J (paraphrase)

Comment

I'm not offended because I know for a fact that I am the better person. It's not "naive, blind and immature". It's simply being an adult human being and knowing when to take a stand against oppression (which in itself is a rightful use of oppression). There is no reason to treat bigots, fascists, nazis, racists, homophobes etc. as equals because they won't return the favour anyway and so they have forfeited that right. I will however treat decent human beings as equals, but not everyone can be included in that definition, such as previously mentioned oppressive/hateful groups. If going by your logic, we should all just pardon Anders Behring Breivik and release him from life in prison right now because he is an equal, right? See how flawed your logic is? By the way, I have nothing against swearing in general, but it doesn't belong in a professional working environment, especially an open one. It's bad publicity and thus bad for business.
                      You pulled somehow Breivik to this discussion? I think that was equal to Nazi Card Or is there a chance he is famous of swearing or what I have no idea how you managed to do that, but consider this discussion over, unless I am so very bored and want to write something in order to counter boredom.

Comment

Working...
                      X