Dropping Profanity In Kernel Code Comments: Linux Gets "Hugs"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomas View Post

This whole Phoronix thread? Yes, I agree. First it was the code name for Linux 4.20 "People's Front" (a reference to the Monty Python film "Life of Brian") that got everyone's knickers in a twist. Now it's this RFC (Request for comment) patch, that was not really serious but an attempt to start a discussion about the CoC and how it should be interpreted, that made everyone go berserk. It's interesting, because the same people that use the term "SjW" about other people and call them "snowflakes" and how they are so sensitive, are themselves extremely sensitive and jump to conclusions without applying critical thinking. If they would have taken just 1 minute to actually go to the source and read the mail thread on the kernel mailing list they would have realised that:

1. The patch will not be accepted
    2 . It really was more of a way to start a discussion than an actual patch.

But at least Michael got his clicks....
    If Michael get clicks and I see a reason to write something, then as far as I see everything is good.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
      but consider this discussion over
      The feeling is mutual. I'm glad we agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

I'm not offended because I know for a fact that I am the better person. It's not "naive, blind and immature". It's simply being an adult human being and knowing when to take a stand against oppression (which in itself is a rightful use of oppression). There is no reason to treat bigots, fascists, nazis, racists, homophobes etc. as equals because they won't return the favour anyway and so they have forfeited that right. I will however treat decent human beings as equals, but not everyone can be included in that definition, such as previously mentioned oppressive/hateful groups. If going by your logic, we should all just pardon Anders Behring Breivik and release him from life in prison right now because he is an equal, right? See how flawed your logic is?
        If not anyone could be included then why you are supporting harassment free for anyone

By the way, I have nothing against swearing in general, but it doesn't belong in a professional working environment, especially an open one. It's bad publicity and thus bad for business.
        So kernel is business now, but was not before ?

Comment

I'm not offended because I know for a fact that I am the better person. It's not "naive, blind and immature". It's simply being an adult human being and knowing when to take a stand against oppression (which in itself is a rightful use of oppression).
          I think "hubris" is the term you're looking for.

There is no reason to treat bigots, fascists, nazis, racists, homophobes etc. as equals because they won't return the favour anyway and so they have forfeited that right. I will however treat decent human beings as equals, but not everyone can be included in that definition, such as previously mentioned oppressive/hateful groups.
          As was the Nazis reasoning for the attempted eradication of Jews. If, in your eyes, the worth of a person is determined by his presumed ideals in lieu of his actions, then you're dangerously close to the mindset of an ideologically motivated dictator.

If going by your logic, we should all just pardon Anders Behring Breivik and release him from life in prison right now because he is an equal, right? See how flawed your logic is?
          Oh but he is getting equal treatment; if you did what he did then you'd be in prison as well. Do not equate equality of outcome with equality of opportunity.

By the way, I have nothing against swearing in general, but it doesn't belong in a professional working environment, especially an open one. It's bad publicity and thus bad for business.
          So your argument is based on the assumption that Linux is not an organic ecosystem of coders and code, but a for profit corporate entity? Then out of curiosity, which "customers" have we lost as a consequence of colorful language?

Comment

I get the impression that some of us could use a lot more hugging in our lives.

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post

(...)

1. The patch will not be accepted
              2 . It really was more of a way to start a discussion than an actual patch.

But at least Michael got his clicks....
              So i fell for a fake news and this is a fake news site.

Comment

Originally posted by Darakus View Post
                I get the impression that some of us could use a lot more hugging in our lives.
                I feel like optimal of both fucks & hugs would be enough, as a lot more of even good medicine could be too much.
                Last edited by dungeon; 01 December 2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Blokdijk View Post
                  Lets be real.. it was always an oxymoron - kernel developer and fucking.
                  Yeah, but Linux kernel developers are like:

Comment

Originally posted by Dedale View Post

So i fell for a fake news and this is a fake news site.
                    Well Michael never wrote that the patch would be accepted, he just wrote that the patch existed. Then all the frogmen drew their own conclusions and wrote (as of now) 11 pages of angry posts about something that only happened in their heads. Also shows that few here actually know how the patch process works in the Linux kernel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brisse View Post

I'm not offended because I know for a fact that I am the better person. It's not "naive, blind and immature". It's simply being an adult human being and knowing when to take a stand against oppression (which in itself is a rightful use of oppression). There is no reason to treat bigots, fascists, nazis, racists, homophobes etc. as equals because they won't return the favour anyway and so they have forfeited that right. I will however treat decent human beings as equals, but not everyone can be included in that definition, such as previously mentioned oppressive/hateful groups. If going by your logic, we should all just pardon Anders Behring Breivik and release him from life in prison right now because he is an equal, right? See how flawed your logic is? By the way, I have nothing against swearing in general, but it doesn't belong in a professional working environment, especially an open one. It's bad publicity and thus bad for business.
                      I treat everyone as equal.

Comment

Working...
                      X