IBM Announces Deal To Acquire Red Hat At $34 Billion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    that's a fantasy, redhat doesn't sell desktops. main linux desktop force is google
    Red Hat sells RHEL in both "Desktop" and "Workstation" flavours. It is commonly used by developers who develop for RHEL server.

Comment

• Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post
      You think everyone is using it for no reason? Or perhaps you are missing something if you don't see the value everyone else sees.
      I see value in it, but then there's value in Windows and a lot of sub-optimal things that people use.

The biggest problem is the way it's absorbing all of the Linux userspace facilities. This makes it very hard to replace.

It's also quite buggy. We've been burned by systemd bugs a number of times, and that's on an enterprise distro.

Comment

• Originally posted by coder View Post
        I see value in it, but then there's value in Windows and a lot of sub-optimal things that people use.

The biggest problem is the way it's absorbing all of the Linux userspace facilities. This makes it very hard to replace.

It's also quite buggy. We've been burned by systemd bugs a number of times, and that's on an enterprise distro.
        Fair enough. I suspect the bugs were already fixed in distros with up-to-date packages at the time you encountered them, that's the price you pay for "stability". :P

Comment

• More to read here:

Red Hat seems to try selling the company for a while now. Also within the boat at that time was: Google, Microsoft and IBM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Candy View Post
            More to read here:

Red Hat seems to try selling the company for a while now. Also within the boat at that time was: Google, Microsoft and IBM.
            That article provides more FUD than actual information - while doubling as an advertisement for WSO2.

Comment

• I would love for IBM to transform into a bigger Redhat though this acquisition to go up against MS/Oracle/Dell/HPE/other consulting firms. Failing this, Amazon seems good at leaving companies alone after acquisitions, though I don't think IBM will be able to resist at-least a few Java-related changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by audir8 View Post
                I would love for IBM to transform into a bigger Redhat though this acquisition to go up against MS/Oracle/Dell/HPE/other consulting firms. Failing this, Amazon seems good at leaving companies alone after acquisitions, though I don't think IBM will be able to resist at-least a few Java-related changes.
                For Sure in a couple of years, from now, changes will amount...and that is for Sure..
                Looking back, and analysing another similar situation..

When Oracle Adquire Sun Microsystems, the American Market accepted the Acquisition, and in Europe it was also approved, BUT with one condition..

The condition was, acquire the Company to make it better, to evolve,and to not let OpenSource project die, like libreoffice mysql..at least this part I know was the deal, in Europe.

Now all of us know very well how it ended... Solaris with Rumours of layoff, Sparc with rumours of being shutdown,
                Open Source ecosystems killed, lots of Genius Engineers that turned the Sun Microsystems, the love place it was... the Only company that could compete was IBM, in the number of intelectual Property, and Doctorate personnel...an example( ...that made a TERRIBLE mistake licencing Java on windows for free... ).

Were is that resources now?
                Mariadb born from that, with its main creator after years of disinterest by Oracle to leave, OpenOffice splited into LibreOffice + OpenOffice on apache( later ), and a lot could be said about the resources that were developing Solaris, and Sparc..

So Technically, in Europe Someone should sue Oracle for not Abiding to the Agreement.
                In the US, I don't know the exact terms..

But the question is...does the State interceded to stop the bloodshed?
                NO, no one interceded..

And this example is a very good one, even though that IBM is not Oracle, BUT they are very closed,and a lot focused on Intelectual property Rights( patents...and so on.. ) you only need to look into Aix, only run on power.

They have a Strong Unix philosophy, ofcourse, but that doesn't meant that RedHat will be "for all" in the future..!
                And the Resources applied to several archs, on opensource?

Does IBM will mantain that 10 years from now?
                For sure will not..

This Acquisition was already expected, at least from me to happen from 2 years ago til now, because after acknowledging, that Linux won the Server Race, and Aix lost, IBM needed to shift, and adapt.
                And with the investment made on power 8 and power9, and also on open power, showed clearly that something will hapen.. only a blind man was not able to see it...and even then some would be able to spot it. .

Comment

• Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                  As much as I'm not a fan of "Big Blue", the whole "IBM made the holocaust possible"-thing is kind of bung... The subsidiary in question was nationalized years before the holocaust began so IBM couldn't have done anything even if they wanted to.
                  They made lots of money in process too, poor victims, poor mister Ford too.. we have wars because of hate, stupidity.. but greed too.

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    that's a fantasy, redhat doesn't sell desktops. main linux desktop force is google
                    RedHat doesn't sell desktops, that's true, but it has been the largest investor AND contributor in projects like GNOME.

Comment

• The only good thing IBM has done in the last ~20 years is their Plex font family. The second last good thing is probably their keyboard but I haven't seen one since early 2000's. Taking into consideration their money comes from supporting ancient legacy stuff like vultures and more recently, Watson and AI stuff you can kinda imagine where Redhat will be after 5-10 years under their hands.

Talking about it, Watson was "supposed" to revolutionize the world, wtf happened IBM?

Comment

Working...
                      X