NVIDIA & Valve Are Among Those Backing X.Org's XDC2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brutalix View Post

Well with the GPP debacle it's seems a bit of a stretch to agree with you. So I would say they still have to show a better commitment to the consumers than what they have shown so far.

And welcome to the forum.

Kind regards
    B.
    A lot of sites obeyed the gag order from Nvidia to not talk about GPP, for fear of losing review cards or be on the end of the line to get one. I wonder what Michael think of this situation. I know that AMD was very vocal for sites to talk about it, but few choose to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

A lot of sites obeyed the gag order from Nvidia to not talk about GPP, for fear of losing review cards or be on the end of the line to get one. I wonder what Michael think of this situation. I know that AMD was very vocal for sites to talk about it, but few choose to do so.
      What Linus (of linustechtips, not Torvalds) said on his podcast regarding GPP is that Nvidia is smart enough to know when they are in trouble and when to shut up, he said that's why they have gone silent on GPP, and they will just wait for it to pass... Because they know anything they say or any further Information will only make things worse. Apparently the board partners are not even allowed to confirm or deny if they have signed up for GPP.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I for one I don't really have a problem with Nvidia's closed drivers; what I have a problem with is the.
        As a relatively new Linux user until recently I really didn't care (open vs closed source drivers). I just wanted the best performance, features and stability...

But seeing and understanding what AMD has done with their open source kernel and user space drivers really put things in perspective for me.

AMD now offers the best out of the box discrete GPU Linux experience across a wide variety of distros and kernels. Without having to fiddle and try to run an installer for a stand alone driver. It just fits in better with how Linux works... And they have even attracted talented folks from companies like Red Hat and Valve who now work hard at advancing the AMD drivers.
        Last edited by humbug; 16 April 2018, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
          AMD now offers the best out of the box discrete GPU Linux experience across a wide variety of distros and kernels. Without having to fiddle and try to run an installer for a stand alone driver. It just fits in better without how Linux works... And they have even attracted talented folks from companies like Red Hat and Valve who now work hard at advancing the AMD drivers.
          I agree. The thing is (and a lot of people would beg to differ), Nvidia could accomplish many (but not all) of the same same great things AMD did while keeping their drivers closed-source. The problem, again, comes down to Nvidia's arrogance and non-compliance. Nvidia doesn't want to do things the Linux way, they want to do things their way, regardless of how it affects the community. It's not so much that Nvidia has ill-intent, because they don't. I think they sincerely care about delivering the best performance, but they have a very different idea of how to go about that and they're not willing to change their methods; they expect everyone to comply with them. That may work ok for Microsoft, but that doesn't work for Linux.

Pretty much the only reason I don't support Nvidia is because of their ego, and the arrogance that comes with it. If they humbled down a bit (especially their CEO) and were more willing to work with communities (rather than have communities work with them) I would likely be using one of their GPUs in my gaming PC. Anyway, I'm proud to be supporting AMD's efforts - I will most likely be buying another AMD GPU next time I upgrade, due to their impressive work and contributions. I certainly don't regret what I have.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            I wonder if Nvidia is backing this only because they want to push their way of doing things, rather than the way the community wants to do things. Like "I gave you money so now you have to listen to me".
            What amazes me is that there is still people who is genuinely not 100% sure that NVIDIA is just doing what they are always doing and will always do.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              How would they do that when even the clock management of their blob driver is total crap?
              It works at least, the cards aren't stuck on boot-up clock speed.

Comment

It's probably outside of the scope of Phoronix though.

Comment

Or maybe they just have nothing to say. Actually, I've read this story on site, which publishes day one review of new videocards and nothing on sites, which never reviews hardware. So it looks more like somebody trying to create a scandal from nothing.
                  There were always been one-gpu-vendor brands such as sapphire or palit, nvidia doesn't forbid GPP participants to sell amd cards under another brands so it is more like honest bussiness proposition. Actually it is just: when some site recommednds some "brandname1080 super duper oc" and same company sells "brandname 580 super duper oc", this confusses buyers and harms nvidia bussiness. I am sure, GPP violates some crazy antitrust law but only because these laws intentionally written to be violated by any action, but common sense tells me that there is no crime in GPP.

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
                    Or maybe they just have nothing to say. Actually, I've read this story on site, which publishes day one review of new videocards and nothing on sites, which never reviews hardware. So it looks more like somebody trying to create a scandal from nothing.
                    There were always been one-gpu-vendor brands such as sapphire or palit, nvidia doesn't forbid GPP participants to sell amd cards under another brands so it is more like honest bussiness proposition. Actually it is just: when some site recommednds some "brandname1080 super duper oc" and same company sells "brandname 580 super duper oc", this confusses buyers and harms nvidia bussiness. I am sure, GPP violates some crazy antitrust law but only because these laws intentionally written to be violated by any action, but common sense tells me that there is no crime in GPP.
                    Found the NVIDIA shill.

GPP prevents vendors from using their "gaming" brand on AMD cards. For example Aorus (Gigabyte) or RoG (ASUS). Which is the whole point of having the "gaming" brand in the first place.

Not selling AMD gaming cards with their "gaming" brand but some other unknown or generic name will favor NVIDIA.

Comment

Prepare for big news from Nvidia.

Comment

Working...
                      X