No announcement yet.

KWin Developer's Response To The GNOME CSD Initiative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is an interesting answer by a GNOME developer there, which make it sounds like they are open to discussion on DWD. As I see it, both sides have valid arguments; maybe we can put an end to these nonsense discussions about SSD versus CSD and instead put some energy into working towards a common goal? Well, I followed with a reply anyway. DWD would be great, I can see myself using them on KDE as well, but I am not ready to abandon the uniform look and feel the desktop currently has for it, and certainly appreciate the workload represented by trying to have a CSD app look native on every DE out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
      And yet, despite all this Gnome hate, KDE is a distant also ran when it comes to desktop DE placements. Maybe the combined multi-year debacle of KDE 3 and KDE 4 and
      KDE 5... ( in particular )... along with their linkage to Qt which was a crap show early on in its move from v4.0 to v5.0 has something to do with it.

Gnome is the default DE for Fedora/Red Hat/CentOS/Oracle/Scientific Linux
      Gnome is the default DE for Suse
      Gnome is the default DE for Ubuntu
      Gnome is the default DE for Solaris
      Gnome is the default DE for Intel's Clear Linux
      Gnome is the default DE for SteamOS
      Gnome is the default DE for Kali Linux

Mate, while originally a fork of Gnome 2, is now based on Gnome 3 framework, forked Gnome 3 apps and GTK+ 3
      Cinnamon is a derivative of Gnome 3 and GTK+ 3
      Budgie, although being re-written in Qt supposedly, is currently a fork of Gnome 3 and is based on GTK+ 3
      Xfce, although not a Gnome fork, is being re-based on GTK+ 3 just as Gnome and all the Gnome derivatives

And in a recent poll on THIS very site, Gnome was the #1 DE used by participants of the poll.

I am NOT a Gnome troll or fanbois. But I will respond to KDE users who insist on trashing another DE simply because they don't have a preference for said DE. State your objections from YOUR SUBJECTIVE observations. But stop whining simply because you're in the minority.

Whatever pissed you off about Gnome 3 when it was first released....oh....7 YEARS AGO this April....may not be there anymore. Even Linus Torvalds, after trashing Gnome, has come back to it after using KDE and Xfce. While not proof that Gnome doesn't suck in the general anymore, it could mean that for Linus it sucks less than the rest. Or....it just meets his needs better now than the rest. At least he came back to it and gave it another try. Unlike a lot of you KDE flamers.
      Who are these KDE flamers? Almost all I see on here are Gnome flamers.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
        Very odd definition for slavery...
        A slave to gnomes will, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
          It's much easier to fallback from CSD to server-side decoration than vice versa. This is also what the Gnome / GTK devs have done exactly to allow Gnome apps to be ran under other desktop environments. Basically there is nothing left to do as of now.
          I didn't mean to imply everything gnome does is wrong, that wouldn't be true at all. There are still tons of apps that aren't CSD yet and gnome's will sets precedence. So I really do hope that falling back is made just as easy as you say, that would be a great thing for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

A slave to gnomes will, for sure.
            For sure, for sure...

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
              again gnome and redhat imposing this things to othrers
              Yeah, damn them for writing code and then releasing it to everyone for free. Who do they think they are?

When I install a distro I'm forced to use Gnome, there's simply no alternatives. It's not like I can install a plethora of other DEs with a simple input on the command line and then selecting another option on the login screen. Or use an ISO that defaults to an alternate DE. I simply have to use Gnome and so does everyone else.

Comment

I'd kill to have some KDE Apps with CSD: digikam, kdenlive, some others I dont remeber. Sadly Qt feels alien on all linux desktop these days. Thats why I just avoid it except of Telegram, wich is Qt but provides its own Design and uses gtk dialogs

Comment

Ever thought that this might be due to the developers of the DE of your choice simply don't care about Qt UIs, unlike Plasma developers who also care for GTK?
                  Seems like nothing will change with Wayland in that regard...

Comment

If you don't like GTK Apps using CSD, don't use them. No need to complain that another DE you don't use uses them.

It's ultimately up to developers to what they do, and if they want to use CSD good for them. I like CSD and GNOME 3.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      Those people that enjoy slavery will keep using gnome and those people that enjoy freedom will keep using Plasma.
                      It's not slavery if it's a choice and is not forced into you. As long as GNOME remains ONE of the possible Linux DEs then it's all fine.

I mean, many people enjoy BDSM but pretty much none of them would like being actually tortured and mistreated in real life.

Comment

Working...
                      X